vLite 0.9 beta - Two rings to rule them all

nuhi

thidiniz, is there some problem with it or you're just saying the language pack?

FnF, the image access denied error or something else?

Randy_Rivers, yeah and even though I planned to go this time without any hacking it seems that setup files will have to get some. It's not copied into final Windows anyway, just on the DVD.

psf-[busta], welcome, come on in ;)

dAbReAkA, sorry can you explain it a little, is that a new component removal request?

TheTripleX, today I just agree with you all the time, this is no different, I too saw that only Malicious Tool installed and all other hotfixes had some error, I suspect one of the new components of course, namely first Component Cache.

Also thank you all for the compliments and the reports.

OK, so since I installed Vista two times today, the second time just to see if Windows Update is fixed, I might give it another try with Component Cache on to see if this is the problem. But afterwards, how do I remove it?

I kind of made a mistake by using a 10GB partition and it might need resizing and with Component Cache on I might be able not to install Vista again on this one.

I guess I'll leave for next time. 99% the chance is that Component Cache is to blame, because the other things are not relevant to installation (Network part).

Edited by TheTripleX

Confirmed, component cache does it. For reference, Vista64 with almost everything removed but component cache, system restore, some services and network drivers weights:

Windows foder 2.69G

- winsxs folder 2.34G

- winsxs\backup - 322mb

Whole C: 5.12G

Note vista 64 is way bigger than the 32

Edit: nuhi, maybe silentupdate it and just include some warning about removing cache kills updates? It is useful this way too - for example if you want to run vista on VM to test before making the switch, no need for updates there and size does matter?

Edited by Well

dAbReAkA, :)

Well, great, thanks, updated. I hope that it's not hotfix dependant and that's it's just some runtime/or something needed of keeping, gonna check the logs and such but I need rest for a few days. If this Component Cache setback can't be fixed I'll remove it, no point in having it like that and the cache is going with component removal in parallel anyway.

is there some problem with it or you're just saying the language pack?

nuhi: i dont test yet, i dont have the retail verson in brazilian portuguese, i only ask :D ...

in Suggestion box page, im say a new request for vlite, if possible to import a Windows Vista Language Interface Packs like a Drivers and Hot fix in Nlite,

ex: LP-pt-BR.exe, can be downloaded from windows update

thx, great works! keep going ;D

Edited by thidiniz

@FnF

I have no issues with Dutch version of Vista (Home Basic vLite'd under Home Basic)

@TheTripleX

I checked as soon as I read this, but I have no problems with Visual C++ Redistributable (within ATI Catalyst 7.1 Final) when Component Cache is removed. Did not check Windows Update yet.

@FnF

I have no issues with Dutch version of Vista (Home Basic vLite'd under Home Basic)

@TheTripleX

I checked as soon as I read this, but I have no problems with Visual C++ Redistributable (within ATI Catalyst 7.1 Final) when Component Cache is removed. Did not check Windows Update yet.

Well, Windows Update is broken if you are removing Component Cache. I was having a bit of a problem there with the C++ Redistributable, but it got fixed somehow and I can't explain how.

I know this is always asked, and Nuhi does this for nothing, and its not implemented in

vLite yet but... what is the smallest HDD size you can install a super stripped Vista on?

I have heard 13Gb? Although the MS requirement is 16Gb.

Sorry if its been asked a million times but... I can't even install it in VMware

until that requirement allows for a 5Gb partition or something like that size,

oh unless a new 250Gb drive or the funds to buy one just drops in my lap

of course.

@LeveL

I have install vLite'd ver of Vista Ultimate and Business on 12GB partition in VMware. So if you have a 13GB partition you should be able to install it on there. And these weren't stripped all the way down or anything, just languages and Windows search removed mostly.