Via two routers

This is my home network now:

1005270.jpg

I live in Holland, ISP is Orange and modem is colled Livebox.It gives automatticly IP's from 192.168.1.10.I have good internet connection on PC and Laptop, but i can't comunicate between them.Is that possible to fix somehow.I called helpdesc of Orange but they don't want to help me with network problems.Thanks in advance!!

Thanks for the diagram,

Easiest way would probably be to change the IP address of your PC to 192.168.10.11

That way all three devices (PC, router, laptop) will be in the same subnet

Sorry to say this, but that won't exactly work. If I connected one router and put it on the subnet 192.168.2.* and then connected it to another router using the second router's WAN port and also put it on the 192.168.2.* subnet, computers on both routers would not be able to communicate to each other because they are each on their own LAN. Changing subnets really doesn't do anything in this case.

He would have to use a crossover cable to connect his wired router to his wireless one NOT using the WAN port on the wireless router. He would also have to disable the DHCP server on the wireless router.

If it's to hard to get a crossover cable, you could also connect 2 lan ports together to extend your network. put both routers on the same subnet, then connect them together with the lan ports. this will do the same as gamehead but without the need for a cross over cable.

Sorry to say this, but that won't exactly work. If I connected one router and put it on the subnet 192.168.2.* and then connected it to another router using the second router's WAN port and also put it on the 192.168.2.* subnet, computers on both routers would not be able to communicate to each other because they are each on their own LAN. Changing subnets really doesn't do anything in this case

Yes well, but when I look at that picture I'm not seeing some Cisco device with individually configured ethernet ports, i'm seeing a simple home network using a switching configuration and of course two different subnets.

What I'm trying to say is of all the ADSL routers I've seen (ADSL being is the most common here), they simply include a built in switch, no multiple networks

Sorry to say this, but that won't exactly work. If I connected one router and put it on the subnet 192.168.2.* and then connected it to another router using the second router's WAN port and also put it on the 192.168.2.* subnet, computers on both routers would not be able to communicate to each other because they are each on their own LAN. Changing subnets really doesn't do anything in this case

Yes well, but when I look at that picture I'm not seeing some Cisco device with individually configured ethernet ports, i'm seeing a simple home network using a switching configuration and of course two different subnets.

What I'm trying to say is of all the ADSL routers I've seen (ADSL being is the most common here), they simply include a built in switch, no multiple networks

If he has two different subnets on the network, it's because he has two DHCP servers. The first one, being where his modem is connected, and the second one being either some kind of D-Link or Linksys wireless router.

Take off the network cable from the adsl modem and then plug it into one of ports on the wireless router. This is because of the ip addressing that different from the adsl modem and the router. Both your adsl modem and router have no map addressing which cannot communicate with other devices on the network except comms with the internet.

ip address 192.168.1.11 which is dhcp addressing for the internet side from your adsl modem. It will change to 192.168.10.3 which represents as the next available ip address on the network on your wireless router :thumbup . Remember to turn off the firewall from both systems :blink:. Allocate a shared folder on each system.

If there is only one ethernet port on the wireless router just buy a wireless card :thumbup

Make sure the settings for the connection (IP and DNS) are set obtained automatically , so the system can allocate 192.168.10.3 B)

Edited by Walchinc

Walchinc, i had that configuration before, but my wireless router(Netgear WGT 624)made troubles restartuing and losing internet connection all the time.That is probably becouse Livebox can also be wireless(if you put card in) and i dont use it -range is to small.

Gamehead200, is crosover cable cable on which wires are mixed?Just to be clear, i am not network expert.And to connect Livebox on Netgears LAN port?

Walchinc, i had that configuration before, but my wireless router(Netgear WGT 624)made troubles restartuing and losing internet connection all the time.That is probably becouse Livebox can also be wireless(if you put card in) and i dont use it -range is to small.

Gamehead200, is crosover cable cable on which wires are mixed?Just to be clear, i am not network expert.And to connect Livebox on Netgears LAN port?

Well looking at the specs of your your router your can have 4 ports and this means 1 for WAN and the rest for LAN connections, try to upgrade the firmwire on the router and see if that fixes the problem because of the majority of problems are software related. The new netgear software for wireless hardware devices causes windows xp log on/off problems

If you buy an wireless card you could buy an router and change your existing router as an access point to interact with it. Configure the mac address to interact as a wireless network connectivity

http://kbserver.netgear.com/kb_web_files/n101496.asp

Like with me

I have 2 routers in the house. because of the bottom room was block from all network access.

Everithing is working!!! Thank you all again.

I did what gameahead said, and that link from Walchinc was very usefull.I still have some questions:

1.Why that crosswired cable was important?

2.What is the difference with normal cable and that one?

1006335.jpg

This is what i plan next, to by wired router, new PC and printer with network built in.Can i do the same with wired router or...other ideas?

Edited by feinstimmer