Windows 98 Third edition?

wild weasel

I have seen fleeting references to a windows 98 third edition (unofficial, of course) in this forum from time to time.

I tried searching the forums with the MSFN search facility & it turned up some oblique refernces to a 3rd edition, but no details.

So, does it exist? :unsure:

What is its status?

WW

well there are some mods of the existing 9x systems.

Windows 98se and Millennium have both got a new lease of life in my Virtual Machine.

I have also fortified them with proprietary executable compression.

The only reason I don't share it is that microsoft would archive it.

Then we'd all be ripped again.

98 1ST edition can be rounded down to just 50mb.

98se well thats just it its SE and that means its like the vista of nt .. it lags.

cut out ie and outlook express implant firefox and thunderbird and plant in around oh say 2000 files from millennium you

have a very sleek windows with awesome speed even in vm.

Windows millennium suffers from system file protection and rollback.

It would be the easiest to manicure but also the most resource hungry.

At least my 98se is permanently protected from virus with the compression preventing these parasites from saving as the executable run in memory not on scratch.

hey i'd even give it to a mass fileshare network but then some lil script kiddy would wreck it to ruin everyone.

I speculate microsoft is in bittorrent and also in nero and norton.

bittorent suffers microsofts dummy file shares causing hash fails.

Norton and Nero cripple system components if your key doesn't pass.

win 9x is immune to that crap.

Communism is the grand daddy of proprietary in my opinion and vista is the worst case of user uncontrollability

especially on the hardware scene.

I use my vm windows to use the net and my system is as good as new and i can just paste a backup of my vm when i know it is ruined hacked or just shabby.

Im gonna stop rambling now hope this helps.

Keywords for google: 98setome 98setoxp 98wmp10

• 12 years later...

My latest efforts are windows millennium edition with 2gb memory on a dual pentium 3 system alongside windows xp and windows 7.

The 2gb is my systems installable limit so it was important to have that 9x support as i hate taking memory sticks out to run 9x apps.

Having a windows 7 style boot menu is a great upgrade to the old dos one.

There are so many things i enjoy nostalgia with. Windows 9x, windows xp, no longer supported today, but windows 7 guarantees at least an entry level web 2.0 support.

I know windows millennium utilizes only one cpu but thats ok a pentium III is still snappy.

Guess I found the closest thing to a win98 3rd edition.

Edited by ZaPbUzZ
GRAMMER

11 hours ago, Tripredacus said:

I remember seeing a "Windows 99" version floating around usenet back in the day. :ph34r:

I don't know when that originally came out, but posted back in 2012, this still "exists" today, available on YouTube - Fake OS: Microsoft Windows 99 WITH DOWNLOAD LINK!! - The download link provided at YouTube still functions and the file will download and open. I did NOT install it. While the YouTube video is amusing, I AM NOT SUGGESTING ANYONE INSTALL THIS ON ANYTHING EXCEPT MAYBE ON A WELL PROTECTED VM.  It is obviously and admittedly a FAKE. A harmless one just meant to amuse? Who knows? It's probably just Win98SE with some edited text and images, but...

If I truly NEEDED to use a version of Win 9.x, I'd contact @rloew and work with him to get as true a version of Win 98 as possible that could meet my needs with my hardware and software requirements, regardless of what I had to pay him to accomplish it.

If I just wanted to PLAY with Win 9.x for the nostalgia or whatever, I'd see what I could do with some combination of the work of @rloew, @PROBLEMCHYLD, @MDGx, @jumper, and others, possibly including things like U98SP3, 98SE2ME, Revolutions Pack, KernelEx, and whatever else I could find to make it work on the latest equipment, at the fastest speed, with the largest amount of memory, and running whatever other software I wanted to play with.

Realistically, running Win98SE in a VM every now an then would probably be enough to get my "fix". Then I would run a different OS, probably Win 7, when I needed to browse the web safely and/or get some actual work done.

All of the above is just my 2cents, and is in no way meant to disrespect any Win9.x, Win2K, XP, Linux, MacOS, or even Win 10 [shudder] fans. I always say that any computer user should have the right to use whatever OS meets THEIR needs with THEIR hardware and software.

Cheers and Regards