Autologon + left shift key

Gray

Hi,

I work for a company where we currently use TweakUI to set up autologon accounts. You know the thing, when the PC's reboot they automatically log on to the network preventing normal users from logging in with their own accounts.

However, a few people have discovered that holding down the left shift key prevents the autologon, and lets these users log into the PC's with their own accounts. This is fine for us admins to do (we have to do it every day), but not good for anyone else!

Is there a way to re-map the left shift key to another key or even another key combo that we can keep secret?

I know I can disable the left shift key completely, but doing this would also stop us from holding it down and logging in.

Or is there another trick I don't know about?

Cheers,

Gray

in user accounts, restrict the machines they can log in to?

Possible yeah, but too many machines to make it a viable option. Is there another way? Can't the left shift key function be changed just during the auto-logon?

And you're going to pray the users don't find out about Ctrl-Alt-Del, right?

No need for that attitude is there?

Of course they all know about that, but the PC's are set up so that the users cannot log in. They can press Ctrl+Alt+Del all day long, they won't be able to log in.

a few people have discovered that holding down the left shift key prevents the autologon, and lets these users log into the PC's with their own accounts.
the PC's are set up so that the users cannot log in. They can press Ctrl+Alt+Del all day long, they won't be able to log in.

So can they logon or not?

Edited by nmX.Memnoch

a few people have discovered that holding down the left shift key prevents the autologon, and lets these users log into the PC's with their own accounts.
the PC's are set up so that the users cannot log in. They can press Ctrl+Alt+Del all day long, they won't be able to log in.

So can they logon or not?

No, users themselves cannot log in as the PCs are set to auto log in via Tweak UI. The only way they can log in is if they do a Ctrl+Alt+Del, click "Log off" and hold down the left shift key. That's my point, I don't want people to be able to hold the left shift key down and log in. I know the left shift key can be disabled, but that would stop us admins logging in too!