System Config Error

coldoven

:realmad:

I just reformated my computer with Windows XP SP2, updated the OS, loaded drives and utilities, loaded all my apps, updated everything and then opened msconfig to go ahead and shut-down all the unneccesary start-ups everyone likes to run on your cpu.

However, I'm constantly getting the following error message:

"System Configuration

An Access Denied error was returned while attempting to change a service. You may need to log on using an Administrator accound to make the specified changes."

And it's mind-boggling because I'm logged on using my System Administrator accound. Does anybody know what's going on here? I've gone ahead and checked all the processes online and am keeping all the undisposable ones. I suspect it's the MS-Messanger that's giving me the problems.

thanks-

(From http://www.experts-exchange.com/Operating_...Q_21843287.html )

Solution 1:

Go to:

HKEY CURRENT USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Look in the right pane for a value called Disablemsconfig. If the value

exists, double-click on Disablemsconfig and set the value to 0. If it

doesn't exist, right click in the right pane and select New, DWord

value. Name it Disablemsconfig and leave it set at 0.

You may also want to investigate:

HKEY LOCAL MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

HKEY USERS\.DEFAULT\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Solution 2:

Are you running Zone Alarm by any chance? That thread contained a post about Zone Alarm causing the problem. If you have it, disable it for the time being and see if you can run msconfig.

Suggestion:

I suggest completely moving the startup files in Start > All Programs > Startup and backing them up somewhere as well as exporting the startup keys in the registry and then deleting them. I'm not too much of a fan of msconfig when it comes to disabling startup items.

thanks gamehead-- i'll get to work asap.

i was using the "tools" utility in MS-Defender to knock out any unwanted start-ups, but I always liked using msconfig as well.... McAfee just forced a huge system-wide update on me... I wonder if their new software is having issues as well, like zonealarm? Food for thought.