WinPE (XP) NIC Driver problems

dkreifus

I have a WinPE CD that's been working pretty good. As new computers/NICs have come along, I've added their drivers as needed to the respective directories below:

*.inf to I386/inf

*.cat & *sys to I386/system32/drivers

We just got a new computer, an HP DC5700. It uses a driver called b57win32 (Broadcom NetXtreme Ethernet Controller).

We've also been using Lenovo T43s that use the same named driver. Also Broadcom.

When I put the new HP driver into the directories, it overwrote the Lenovo ones. I would think that the newer driver would include the previous drivers info.

So at this point, I can have one or the other. Any ideas how to resolve this?

In some cases u r able to rename the *.inf and *.sys files and change the references within them... however, the *.cat would of course be broken even if that worked. I am also using two kinds of b57x drivers, that I solved by changing the info/references between them, then adding them to the above stated paths.... Think you would be better of moving over to WinPE 2.0 (based on Vista) that makes better usage of drivers (online) and supports more models from scratch, downside is in memory boot...

I have already contacted our MS rep to get PE 2.0. I didn't realize it was out yet.

How did you solve the problem of the .cat file if your renamed the files?

I didn't..... the signature is broken, but at least it is working...

If this is pe 1.6 or lower the solution is easy. Delete the .cat. Pe won't care since it doesn't have any other driver for that PCI-id anyway.

Have you tried to download the driver directly from broadcom? Ther generic drivers seems to solve the most problems if you make a copy of B57xp.sys named B57win32.sys.

In worst case you will have to copy the PCI-ID:s from one inf to the other