When I plug the usb in...

tal ormanda

Let's narrow it down. Which "menus" are you talking about? The menu that prompts you to pick how to view your USB drive based upon the data/media that is on it? Or is it the balloon tooltips that appear in the systray?

Run => gpedit.msc

Administrative templates => System => Turn Off Autoplay, set to enabled and select All drives in properties.

When I type in gpedit.msc Windows can't find it.

What I want is to turn off the auto play menu from poping up. And just make the folder pop open.

Edited by tal ormanda

Do you have an "Autoplay" tab in the drives properties?

To customize autoplay settings, open My Computer, right-click the drive you want to customize, select Properties, then Autoplay.

If that fails to give you more options? You should use the Microsoft Power Toy called TweakUI.

Side Note: Change your Windows Theme to a default like "Classic" or "Windows XP". This could be the reason you are missing the additional check boxes?

Edited by mywindow

When I switched the theme to Windows default there was still no checkbox and autoplay still came up. With my 256MB usb just the folder pops up. That's ok. The 1GB pops up some U3 folder thing and the autoplay. Both of which the driver for the U3 and the driver for the 1GB usb I set to off in the properties.

EDIT: The U3 driver has an autorun file, but I cannot delete it to see if it will stop the U3 from popping up.

devices4it.png

usbproblem9wr.png

Edited by tal ormanda