ATI R600 To Arrive March 9th

DigeratiPrime

saw this on the frontpage of gpureview. Maybe the mid-range nVidia 8xxx cards will follow shortly after :)

VR-Zone is reporting that R600 is set to be launched on March 9th in two different varieties, the X2800XTX and the X2800XT. The XTX will come with either 512MB or a full 1GB of GDDR4 memory clocked at 2.2GHz with a core clock of 750MHz. The XT will have 512MB of GDDR3 clocked at 1.8GHz with a core clock of just 600MHz.

The XTX is sure to be a monster and I am personally foaming at the mouth in anticipation of its much-delayed arrival. I can't wait to see what they're going to do with all that memory bandwidth. I am, however, slightly concerned with the dramatic gap in core clock between the XT and XTX versions. The X1900XTX and X1900XT were much closer together in terms of core clocks. This suggests some issues getting good yields at 750MHz and I certainly hope the XTX doesn't turn into another phantom edition. On the other hand, it's quite encouraging to see no mention of disabled pipelines on the XT version, which might make for some interesting overclocking opportunities.

Check out the VR-Zone article here:

http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=4510

• 3 weeks later...

Picture from VRzone of the OEM version :o

http://www.vr-zone.com/index.php?i=4622

VR-Zone has learned about some new details on 80nm R600 today and there will be 2 SKUs at launch; XTX and XT. There will be 2 versions of R600XTX; one is for OEM/SI and the other for retail. Both feature 1GB DDR4 memories on board but the OEM version is 12.4" long to be exact and the retail is 9.5" long. The above picture shows a 12.4" OEM version. The power consumption of the card is huge at 270W for 12" version and 240W for 9.5" version. As for R600XT, it will have 512MB of GDDR3 memories onboard, 9.5" long and consumes 240W of power. Lastly, there is a cheaper R600XL SKU to be launched at a later date.

R600XTX.jpg

omfg thats huge. i wonder how much its gunna cost. ill prolly end up getting an 8900gt...

....We haven't even sin benchmarks for it yet....for all you know the reason why it was held back was to ensure they had pulled back the lead the 8800 gave NVidia and to give it an advantage too.

The difference between the 8800 & 8900 from Nvidia will probably be just like X800 to X900 and X1800 to X1900.

It will simply be a more economical revision of the G80 chip which gives Nvidia the ability to increase the clock a wee bit more.

It won't be like the massive jumps between new generations but ATi do have quite a job to catch up

Edited by codejunkie

well nvidia is hoping that the 8900 will be somewhat of a jump. both the 8900 and r600 will most likely be using ddr4, which will help ALOT in memory banwidth. and the 8900 will either be 65nm or 80nm.

im not saying that the 8900 will be better, its just that it will prolly cost alot less than the r600. i really want an 8800gts but they are just too hot and too loud.. so the 8900 should improve on that. as long as there is no lag, im happy.