User Account Control enabled, but not completely

Jeronimo

I found a nice guide here explaining how you can keep UAC active, but disable certain aspects of it. However I do not seem to have secpol.msc under Home Basic.

Is this because I used vLite on my installation or is it not present in Home Basic? Is there another way to apply such settings?

Windows Resource Protection

or let me say it another way...

Is there a guide or something to gain ABSOLUTE administrativ power over vista.

You know... delete any files I want, and not getting various warnings and messeges about not having any administrativ rights.

The way I se it an administrator in vista is in more like a extended user...

Edited by md1813

Technically, it is - every user other than the built-in Administrator account gets a split token when UAC is enabled. The only account with complete control is the built-in Administrator user, but as you've already noted, things in Home Basic (and Starter) are different. Note that you may be able to disable UAC via the registry:

Key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System

Value: EnableLUA

Type: REG_DWORD

Data: 0

Reboot and UAC should be completely off.

UAC can be disabled from user accounts or from msconfig, but this is not what I started the topic for. There are some possibilities to loosen up UAC, as to make it less anoying more userfriendly and therefore more secure: if you get messages all the time, that you click away without reading, then it's purpose has been lost and security is still at risk. However I have not found an alternative way to edit Local Policies within HomeBasic (also in HomePremium) because secpol.msc or gpedit.msc is not available.

Finally took the time to investigate. Maybe these settings can be added to vLite when UAC is kept enabled?

The following is an extract from TweakVista (link in my first post) with added the settings in registry. All settings can be found under the link stated bycluberti (HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System):

* User Account Control: Admin Approval Mode for the Built-in Administrator account
o Enabled
o Disabled
ValidateAdminCodeSignatures

* User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode
o Elevate without prompting
o Prompt for credentials
o Prompt for consent
ConsentPromptBehaviorAdmin

* User Account Control: Behavior of the elevation prompt for standard users
o Automatically deny elevation requests
o Prompt for credentials
ConsentPromptBehaviorUser

* User Account Control: Detect application installations and prompt for elevation
o Enabled
o Disabled
EnableInstallerDetection

* User Account Control: Only elevate executables that are signed and validated
o Enabled
o Disabled
ValidateAdminCodeSignatures

* User Account Control: Only elevate UIAccess applications that are installed in secure locations
o Enabled
o Disabled
EnableSecureUIAPaths

* User Account Control: Run all administrators in Admin Approval Mode
o Enabled
o Disabled

* User Account Control: Switch to the secure desktop when prompting for elevation
o Enabled
o Disabled
PromptOnSecureDesktop

* User Account Control: Virtualize file and registry write failures to per-user locations
o Enabled
o Disabled
EnableVirtualization

Additional information on all settings can be found here:

Understanding and Configuring User Account Control in Windows Vista