1 Database or 2?

i have two program that both use mysql databases.both databases are planned to be hosted on a same server BUT is there any diffrence that i make one mysql DB for both and use prefix name for their tables or make 2 individual DB's?

by diffrence i mean performance diffrence.

• 1 month later...

tain- do you mean two tables or two databases?

im not exactly sure if you would notice the performance increase tho, unless your working with millions of entries.

i was just thinking about this, seriously like an hour ago, and i just decided to put it all in 1 database. only reason was b/c of organization. say the server where you were going to have the database already has like 20 databases on it... i use phpmyadmin alot, just for testing right now, hopefully i wont ever have to use it later on besides from having to manually edit/delete something for some reason.

If they're seperate programs containing seperate data it's generally recommended to have them in seperate databases. What if you wanted to move the database for one application to another server, but not move the database for the other application? If you put them in the same database then you'd be stuck pulling the tables apart for a situtation like that. :)

• 1 month later...