Vista x64 from MS Action Pack

elaverick

As I understand it Windows Vista comes in both 32-bit and 64-bit flavours on all media and the user gets to choose at installation time which copy of Vista they want to run with...

Now I've just received my copies of Vista in my Microsoft Action Pack kit however I can see no way to select whether I want to install a 32 or 64 bit version of Vista and I'm automatically lumbered with the 32 bit version. I was originally upgrading from a copy of XP Pro x64 (so you would think this would give them a fair clue as to the direction I wanted to go in) but I've been completely unable to find anyway of selecting my particular poison.

Does anyone have any insight as to what is required to get the 64 bit OS up and running from these DVD's?

On the action pack website Windows Vista Business has four *'s which means:

****In some regions, Microsoft will provide the UPGRADE version of the Windows Vista desktop operating system in the Action Pack, which is consistent with how this product is distributed to our Volume Licensing Program customers.

I would contact them, shouldn't it have come with two discs one for x64 and one for x86.

We also have the action pack. I recieved 2 DVDs, one per platform type, however they are both UPDATE discs. However, i'm going to try the key on the retail copy of Ultimate i have coming some point next week.

Just to mention, i don't know about you, but we recieved discs/keys for Business edition.

• 2 weeks later...
I only got the x86 Business Upgrade DVD (LRMCFRE_EN_DVD) and I'm in the USA. The license chart included with the Janurary kit doesn't mention what CPU it is for.

It's 32-bit only. Also, the workaround for upgrading through a clean install doesn't seem to work properly... I've had one system completely fail the upgrade install, and the other, which I just installed as a trial, somehow erased itself. The hardware is brand new, and has been tested extensivley. I'm not a happy camper.