Cannot Reboot Win98SE OS After Loading SP2.1a

COMET

I seem to be having a problem loading 98SE SP2.1a on several Dell Optiplex-110s. If I load 98SE, then load the Dell hardware drivers, followed by SP2.1a, upon hot reboot, the system comes up with a Windows Protection Fault (requesting reboot). Then if I do a cold reboot, it then boots into Safe Mode.

On a hunch after several retries, I reformatted, reloaded Win98SE, then reloaded the SP2.1a BEFORE loading the drivers, and things appear to be stable. I would imagine it is assumed that an SP update would be run on a machine with the OS and drivers fully loaded, so I am wondering if I am doing something wrong. The only clue that I have is that perhaps the Dell audio drivers could be causing the problem, since during one attempt right after loading the service pack, the system did not prevent rebooting but when the system played an audio CD with Media Player, I received the blue screen of death. I also note at the beginning of this forum (Nov 29, '05) where Gape indicates there is an incompatibility with some audio drivers. Dell has two audio drivers for the embedded sound card for this system and I have tried both with the same result.

Does anyone know if I'm doing something wrong, of if this is the best workaround to this issue?

Thanks.

I've found that it's better to provide the drivers some of the updated installation sources that are provided by doing these system updates first. This, after suffering greatly from 98SE IOS bootup errors over the past year.

My guess is that if the drivers are already installed some of the files aren't updated if they are in use when updaters such as the Unofficial Service Pack are installed. But when the updaters have already updated the installation sources, the driver gets its installation files from them and they all work together better.

Sometimes this results in the Windows driver installer prompting you to answer whether to replace newer files or keep the newer file. I generally tell it to keep the newer file already on the system.

Since I don't think I can avoid not using at least some of the drivers during the service pack update, then (with these symptoms) it sounds like loading the drivers after the service pack is the best way to do this afterall?

Thank you Eck for the explanation!