BIOS HDD

aLeXis

This is the wierdest problem i have come across....i have a p200 pc with win98se installed and i want to install a new 5gb hdd as a secondary drive and this is where the madness begins. Firstly this pc has only two power connector cables so i had to buy an extender cable (Y shaped one) to connect the cdrw and the hdd on the secondary cable and one hdd as a master. If i want to install the hdd as a master and the cdrw as slave it wont see the cdrw in the bios...when i switch it it won't see the hdd only the cdrw. If i want to put the cdrw on the first cable as a slave it won't see it also. Then i tried the second hdd as a slave and the cdrw as a master on the second cable and it works but it doesnt see the hdd in bios only the cdrw but the thing is that windows sees the second hdd just fine...i even ran Norton disk doctor to make sure tat there are no problems...only DOS can't see the hdd but that is just becausse the bios doesn't sees it also. So is it safe to use the hdd like that or what to do...also i can't enable DMA on it :( cuz of the **** bios. What am i doing wrong here ? Thanks in advance and sorry for the long post :wacko:

um.. got confusing there so I apologize for my 'tip' if you've already tried...

Did ya check the jumpers on the drives? Are they set properly? One master, one slave per cable.

If they are, your power supply may not be large enough to support the extra drive... that's why you needed a Y-adapter...

If the power supply is at least a 250watt (I think, please correct me if I'm wrong), it shouldn't be part of your problem though.

The CD should be set as "Auto" in BIOS.

Connect 1st HDD as primary/master, 2nd HDD as secondary/master, and the CD as secondary/slave. Make sure the jumpers on these are properly set.

Now go in BIOS Setup and auto-detect the HDDs. Probably the CD won't be detected.

Set the rest (primary/slave and secondary/slave) to "Auto", save the settings, reboot.

Examine the POST screen while booting (use the Pause key if necessary)

The BIOS should show something like "Secondary Slave : <CD drive model>"

If it does, then everything is fine.

However, if it doesn't and Win98 doesn't detect the CD too, consider putting both HDDs on the primary controller.

You could also try looking for a BIOS update. Write down the number you see at the bottom of the POST screen and look it up on the net to find the exact mobo model, etc.

Well i nailed it down...it seemed that the problem was one of the ribbon cables...i swaped them on the motherboard and had to put the cdrw as a secondary master (it wouldn't work otherway :blink: ) and the 2nd hdd as primary slave...the only thing thats bothering is that the hdd activity led is not blinking anymore on either hdd...guess i can't have it all...maybe ill have to buy a new ribbon cable, oh well...it works now but this one was weird as hell tho...thanks for the suggestions anyways.