eXplosive Idea. Summary of objects removed added to last session file.

Madhits45

The Component Removal process has most certainly changed from what I can tell from previous nlites. I sorta knew what to expect from some things when I removed them. Now there are so many more options and options within options. My willingness to remove new things is not there because 90% of the time I break my whole setup & never know why. Then again you may never need that item either. I'd like to know everything that changes & gets removed. So I hope this can help. :hello:

A really nice add on to nlite would be to include what reg entries, files and things that are done when you remove a component or anything with nlite. I would be willing to bet that people have conflicting things that affect what nlite removes by either putting back, deleting before nlite is ready or replacing a file before nlite is ready. Getting that detail in there would narrow down 100's or 1000's of errors with nlite, add-ons, and apps etc. Potentially a lot of questions would no longer need to be asked.

People would know for example what nlite deletes either what file or reg entry (named whatever) at a certain point in the install. Then when you run blank app & explorer is looking for that file (or reg entry) because blank app needs it during its install or startup. Normally Explorer would crash and you get a nice blue screen due to the missing data & not know WHY & get frustrated. But with this info to solve you just have to look up the info in nlite to narrow it down & fix it or you could get rid of that app (not what i'd wanna do). Sometimes these issues do not surface for weeks after an install is complete. While your still testing it and thinking its fine.

Ultimately this add on would help people be more comfortable with nlite. Because you could narrow down & discover if what your experiencing is even nlites doing at all. Like for example there are lots of issues I have had that I wondered about. I never see this behavior on vanilla windows could it be nlite or is it something else I'm doing.

I Don't think nuhi can handle doing this on his own though. I know many of the users know or understand what is removed with some components and may be able to aid in this add on to nlite. If the list can be started then nuhi can certainly fill in the blanks. Making it a lot easier to finish. Then we can add this info to nlite under each component or thing removed.

Hope everyone agrees :thumbup

Lets get the list going and have people post what is removed with whatever components as far as we all know.

Edited by Madhits45

it has already been asked for a long time but that would be a lot of work for nuhi

DUH its a lot of work.

But I believe everyone can chip in and we can get this going here. Then nuhi can fill in the blanks.

Lets start with the list of available components and what is believed to be removed with those.

So you find it easier and more useful to do all that instead of simply reinstalling and refreshing your OS in the process?

I must say that I don't vote for this, I would rather spend time on something more useful and less risky. Because by adding this on already patched OS (with various hotfixes) is dangerous.

No pun intended.

So you find it easier and more useful to do all that instead of simply reinstalling and refreshing your OS in the process?

I must say that I don't vote for this, I would rather spend time on something more useful and less risky. Because by adding this on already patched OS (with various hotfixes) is dangerous.

No pun intended.

I think you misunderstood what I wanted to do & looking for here.

What I want to add is addional info to the componet removal info in nlite.

Currently when you hover over an item to remove data about that item is displayed on the right. That info is limited currently to a name of the item and the size & sometimes a little more. I am proposing we add a lot more detail there. Detail about what else is removed and what it takes to remove that item. For example "compont blank will be removed" This componet is removed from txtsetup and entries for this item are removed from blank hive file. Those entries are "blank, blank and blank" This file also affects blank component and these 3 well know apps. I know there is a topic on what not to remove for some apps. My issue's past and present have not dealt with any one app so I am not looking for that but I know it would help to have the top 3 affected apps listed. I am more concerned about what else is removed (reg entries etc).

This level of data would help so MUCH. Another approach to adding this data would be to include a summary at the end when nlite is complete. That summary would include that same level of data. For exaple: Blank was removed and with it these entries in blank hive.

This is what I want everyones help with. I am certain there are users knowledegable enough to detirmine what is removed with some of the componets to start a list that after complete nuhi can add to nlite in one of the above fashons. The extra work for nuhi could be done by all of us and you simpley fill in the blanks and add it to nlite.

The potential to diagose new nlite issues here is huge. Users could more quickly detirmine problems with there setup once this data is available.

I hope everyone is willing to give this a go. All we need is to start the list and see where it goes. THANKS

First of all nLite does at least 80% automatically, I just point it to the component INF file to parse it for files and delete any if found and clean that from the installations entries, or tell it clean x string from the y hive.

Not to mention the geekiness and unreadability once every component would have so much descriptive text.

And I still don't understand the "add-on" in the title...was that ment to be like "change" or "upgrade"?

First of all nLite does at least 80% automatically, I just point it to the component INF file to parse it for files and delete any if found and clean that from the installations entries, or tell it clean x string from the y hive.

Not to mention the geekiness and unreadability once every component would have so much descriptive text.

And I still don't understand the "add-on" in the title...was that ment to be like "change" or "upgrade"?

Yeah by add-on I just mean like upgrade I guess. Add-on made more sense to me, Added features.

Well we dont have to add all that detail to the component removal screen thats just one way we could do it. I was also thinking a summary at the end when nlite is complete would also work. So nlite finishes its shrinking of your install files and you get a nice little pop up with details about what was effected. That summary could be saved and then later on you have a problem with x file you can look it up. This would be really helpful. Yes I know its geeky. But nlite is not an app for the average none geeky user. Its definately geekwear.

Maybe the summary is better idea then adding the info to the components screen. That way each user would have there own report so to speak of what happened to what they removed.

I have same opinion as Madhits45. If nLite stores list of dependencies (between installations files and components tree) in INF file separately from source code, is the simplest way publish this file. If isn't secret (for some reason), of course.

I have same opinion as Madhits45. If nLite stores list of dependencies (between installations files and components tree) in INF file separately from source code, is the simplest way publish this file. If isn't secret (for some reason), of course.

Mitch I don't see why this would be to secret. Even if it was I dont think nuhi would have to reveal that much. Before nlite was available a few years ago I used some files created by another user that removed files from your i386 folder and txtsetup to basicly do 80% of what nlite now does. Hopefully nuhi does not think hes giving away to much here. I just really think having this in the next nlite would be emensly helpful with some of the more strange and unique situations & problems nlite users face.

So lets get that list started. Are you willing to give this a go NUHI?

Nuhi? Anybody?

Whats removed with these components. These are the items I remove most commonly. At leaset its a start. I'd like to get all of them up here and start getting into the detail here. BUT I need everyones expertise.

;# Applications #

Briefcase

Calculator

Games

Internet Games

NT Backup

Pinball

Screensavers

;# Drivers #

Asynchronous Transfer Mode (ATM)

Display Adapters

Display Adapters (old)

Ethernet (LAN)

ISDN

Logitech WingMan

Microsoft SideWinder

Modems

Portable Audio

Printers

Scanners

SCSI/RAID

Serial Pen Tablet

Sony Jog Dial

Sound Controllers

Toshiba DVD decoder card

Wireless Ethernet (WLAN)

;# Hardware Support #

ALI IDE Controller

ATM Support

Bluetooth Support

Brother Devices

CMD PCI IDE Controller

CPU Transmeta Crusoe

Gravis Digital GamePort

InfraRed

Multi-port serial adapters

Smart Cards

USB Audio support

VIA PCI IDE Controller

;# Multimedia #

Intel Indeo codecs

Luna desktop theme

Media Center

Mouse Cursors

Movie Maker

Music Samples

Old CDPlayer and Sound Recorder

Speech Support

Tablet PC

Windows Media Player

;# Network #

Client for Netware Networks

Communication tools

Comtrol Test Terminal Program

FrontPage Extensions

Internet Connection Wizard

Internet Information Services (IIS)

MSN Explorer

Netmeeting

NetShell Cmd-Tool

Peer-to-Peer

Synchronization Manager

Web Folders

Windows Messenger

;# Operating System Options #

.NET Framework

Administrative Templates

Administrator VB scripts

Blaster/Nachi removal tool

Command-line tools

Desktop Cleanup Wizard

Disk and Profile Quota

Disk Cleanup

Document Templates

DR Watson

Extra Fonts

FAT to NTFS converter

File and Settings Wizard

Help and Support

Manual Install and Upgrade

MS Agent

Remote Installation Services (RIS)

Search Assistant

Security Center

Service Pack Messages

Tour

Zip Folders

;# Services #

Alerter

Automatic Updates

Error Reporting

Indexing Service

Message Queuing (MSMQ)

Messenger

QoS RSVP

Quality of Service (QoS)

Remote Registry

Service Advertising Protocol

Telnet

Volume Shadow Copy

Lets get this thing started. I need to know what is removed with security center.

Does anyone know what reg entries are changed when the Security Center is removed. Also what files are taken out with nlite.

I have some minor issues when I remove security center and wondered if I could fix those myself.

THANKS EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

How about you start removing it manually. I mean no disrespect, simply keep Security Center and remove it manually file by file, reg entry by entry, then you have total knowledge what's what. And please tone down a little, why are you so hyped anyway, if you need a component don't remove it, if you want me to teach you every single thing nLite does don't use it. I hardly wrote some mediocre guide not to mention to start explaining the technical stuff.

Madhits45 - do you expect every software maker to completely document what each feature of his software does?

I'd suggest if you just want to know how to do it manually you head over to Fred Vorck's webv site and start reading - because all the information you need to find out what is required to remove each component is there (it's just not giftwrapped). A LOT of hard work went into the nLite project. Asking Nuhi to include every single step required to remove each component is asking him to document his code - and NOBODY in their right mind asks a software developer to release their own proprietary code.

Remember two things here:

1) While nLite is free for personal use - it is still proprietary software - it is not Open Source. What you are asking is equivalent to asking for source code.

2) While nLite is free for personal use - that does not mean Nuhi cannot license this software for business use (i.e make some money oiff it if businesses are willing to pay for it).

Start digging into the setup fiels if you want to know what is required to remove each component.

Edited by fraquar

I am NOT asking for source code

I am not asking for nlite to be renamed madhits software

I am not asking nuhi to give away the farm here.

All I am asking for is some info about what reg entries and files are affected besides what is already listed in nlite. It is PLAIN to see that this would help users with strange and seemingly unfixable issues with nlite. There is tons of data out on the net about removal process and everyone seems to do it a little different. I like the way nlite does it but It has always been unclear if I remove this part how will that affect this program I run here.

In fact I would be happy just knowing the reg entries affected. I believe the problems I have come more from a reg entry then a removed file or part of windows. So forget listing what files that are removed. How about we stick to just reg entries changed or removed with different components. CAN everyone see how that would be helpful diagnosing nlite related problems.

Problems I have had with nlite that are NOT fixable except by putting back large parts of windows that I really dislike.

For example one recent problem is the way nlite removes the security center is good but nlite usta do it differently. What usta happen when SP2 first came out is when you removed security center the firwall tab was totally removed under networking. Now security center is removed and the firwall tab remains behind. I know that the firewall can be removed with internet connection sharing but I occationaly use internet connection sharing and now find that I have to deal with the firwall turning on by itself all the time. I believe these is a reg entry that somehow affects the firwall and can turn it off or remove it.

I know there is an answer to the above question and I know someone will most likely give me that answer. I would still like to know the removed reg entries because I have many problems like the one above and do not know even what is causing it. I would like to analyze my problems by working them backwards. However I can not do that without this info I have asking for in the first post.

I still dont understand everyones hostility toward my interest in this. I am just a man trying to solve a problem and get some help. I have tried to solve these problems on thie forum and no one has offered up a solution that has worked. So this way I know I can solve it myself & all I need is a little more info then what is offered in nlite

THANK YOU