vlita vista for use on an Laptop

GoPool

Well, at least you are down to 9mb from insane 100mb reports.

I guess we can leave the Readyboost discussion then.

Now this

Vista's memorymanagement work in a different way than in XP.

It will pull 30-33% of available memory until a certain point.

Try install in VMware first with 512MB ram and note the memory used.

Change to 1GB and install the same image and note the memory used.

;)

Clint, I see I'm talking in vain here, until you try it we have no reason to talk.

Of course if you have all your programs and drivers installed that Vista will drain whole GB and you'll never see the difference.

I'm talking here about OS core loading and how much RAM it takes on clean...isolation, rings any bells.

Also disabling and removing it isn't the same.

Clint, I see I'm talking in vain here, until you try it we have no reason to talk.

Of course if you have all your programs and drivers installed that Vista will drain whole GB and you'll never see the difference.

I'm talking here about OS core loading and how much RAM it takes on clean...isolation, rings any bells.

Also disabling and removing it isn't the same.

Well, I've tried everything you have..and more...and I can guarantee that I have isolated whatever issue more than you.

I have been there, with much smaller system load than you will ever get..again isolation.

It's within it's nature that I will develop things faster than you, I do not need to consider all those buttonclickers and what they might do or wanna install.

As a matter of fact, I see your problem quite clearly, you have all these ppl around you (read nLite/vLite fanboys) that doesn't have a clue on what is going on and applaude just about everything.

This is ofcourse a fallpit, it's easy to start belive you have invented the wheel again...or anything in that magnitude.

As for this here argument about Readyboost and memoryusage, you are simply wrong..!!

Take it as a man, I'm sure your follower won't hold it against you ;)

Clint, you have outdone yourself. Also when I see that you are talking around the forum that Vista installs components during install you make me warm inside.

HAHA, you are only trying to make others to forget your stupid comments about readyboost and memoryusage with jumping on me with cheap shots...wich ofcourse also is totally wrong.

I have posted one comment about this, not talked around the forum...and it was when mentioning why you should not remove winsxs folder completely.

And there are actually a couple of things that gets "installed"...or "set"...that ARE depending on componentpackages/manifests that are residing/linked there...so I am completely accurate there as well.

link to my post:

http://www.msfn.org/board/index.php?s=&amp...st&p=615682

@Clint

Nice, would really like to know how this was established and if this was with vLite or womething else. DId you just remove the winsxs folder or waht?

No, I did not use vLite..it's all manual work.

With Vistas imagebased setup it's really childsplay to modify the source, and the setuproutine is much easier on dependencies as well.

winsxs folder cannot be removed entirely, it holds quite a few keycomponents for both your setup and later components install.

Stop lying.

Again it's so obvious that your perception of reality is really off, you ARE NOT the "progressleader" nor the knowleadgeable mentor you are pretending to be.

You my friend are nothing but a "trial and error" dude that don't have a clue what you are talking about, simple as that.

I'm tired of you pretending, show me some numbers/facts or stop babbling. I have given you undoubtable facts and others agree, but you reply with comments like "make me warm inside"..and so on..where is the FACTS to prove your points?)

Show me facts that Readyboost takes 100MB and Prefetch takes 300MB in memoryusage alone!!!!!!!

Until you do, please keep the lid on....

Edited by Clint

@Clint

Why are you acting as the cocky know it all?

You keep pointing out how good you are, but when people ask for guidance, then you reply with "this is not the place". Why don't you really help in what we are trying to do instead of proving you are "superiour". We are all working in one way or the other towards the same goal and in this nuhi tries to provide a tool to assist us. How his methods are, I do not care as along as the result is up to par. For me this is the case and he can indeed be off sometimes. But he does not put neon-lights on his front page stating vLite will gaining 500% performance boost and memory usage will be 2 times less. Nobody's perfect, lets just try not to prove we are right, but try to have an healthy discussion on slimming down Windows Vista.

Edited by Jeronimo

@Clint

You keep pointing out how good you are, but when people ask for guidance, then you reply with "this is not the place". Why don't you really help in what we are trying to do instead of proving you are "superiour". We are all working in one way or the other towards the same goal and in this nuhi tries to provide a tool to assist us. How his methods are, I do not care as along as the result is up to par. For me this is the case and he can indeed be off sometimes. But he does not put neon-lights on his front page stating vLite will gaining 500% performance boost and memory usage will be 2 times less. Nobody's perfect, lets just try not to prove we are right, but try to have an healthy discussion on slimming down Windows Vista.

Allow me to quote from his site:

http://www.vlite.net/

Looked at some stats and it turns out that when a 1GB machine is used with the Vista Lite, vLite can save you up to a 600MB ! of free space in the RAM memory compared to a full version. I find that amazing, and the general usage is much faster even on my Core 2 Duo. Not to mention the 5GB smaller install

But you are right, this is getting out of hand..and I'm tired of it.

..it all started quite some time ago when he called me a "sick old bastard" when I was asking fellow members for an old version of nLite..and deleted their posts with links...so he did actually set the level.

I'm working towards finalization of my build, still working on an a replacement firewall.

I will drop some notes on Maxxpsofts forum when I'm done.

Edited by Clint

Clint, what I said about caching is true, done the tests twice, what do you want screenshots?

"it holds quite a few keycomponents for both your setup and later components install."

Means that it has few key runtime files there, which XP has too, check it before you say anything.

And later means when you select Add Features from Control panel in Vista. Not during install.

Why are you attacking me, it's your ignorance not mine.

It's only matter of time until someone else does these tests properly and confirms it.

Remember I didn't say that readyboost DRIVER takes 100MB but that on full vista cache is 100MB smaller with Windows fully booted and ReadyBoost removed. Why would I say something like that out of the blue, I saw and confirmed it.

Take a deep breath, reread and then reply, these insults are very childish and stop "describing" me.

Clint, what I said about caching is true, done the tests twice, what do you want screenshots?

"it holds quite a few keycomponents for both your setup and later components install."

Means that it has few key runtime files there, which XP has too, check it before you say anything.

And later means when you select Add Features from Control panel in Vista. Not during install.

Why are you attacking me, it's your ignorance not mine.

It's only matter of time until someone else does these tests properly and confirms it.

Remember I didn't say that readyboost DRIVER takes 100MB but that on full vista cache is 100MB smaller with Windows fully booted and ReadyBoost removed. Why would I say something like that out of the blue, I saw and confirmed it.

Take a deep breath, reread and then reply, these insults are very childish and stop "describing" me.

blabla bla bla blabla...you are still shooting air and protecting your hurted bloated ego.

??? ..so you are confirming my statement...or what??

There is no substance in what you are saying, you make no sense at all...

..take it like a man.

I don't understand the word you just said.

here, take a look at the attachments since you are so closed minded...how can MS design it like that...uuu.

And for the future tests anyone does look at the free physical memory, I marked it on my test.

Removed ReadyBoost and SuperFetch, if you want separate tests again I'll be happy to.

This time it's 64bit vista with 1.5GB RAM.

post-8552-1169501573_thumb.png

post-8552-1169501624_thumb.png

@Clint

I can throw you a bone for now:

If you want to brand your install, a little word after the Vista version so that everyone knows you have done it: (look at mouse pointer)

chooseinstall7by.jpg

How do do this:

Open install.wim with an Hexeditor

Start from the bottom of the file and scroll upwards until you see this area: (I have entered (.C.l.i.n.t.) there, just for show) :whistle:

wimhex4al.jpg

...replace and save

:hello: