Anyone Know ??

Micro

Not sure what "gulp" means, so here's the background history for newcomers - :cool:

I see the ability to "change to PID of the OS before setup" has been "rediscovered" with XP.

Guys, that's pretty OLD news and has been in use since Win2k in the NT series and since Win95 in the Win9x OS.

It's also probably not the "best" way to go.

In Win9x, PIDs are in the 100 series, 101, 102, 108, 110, etc.

Changing them allowed the OS to be installed and recognized as a full, upgrade, OEM, beta, educational, etc. installation and use the appropriate Product Key (serial number), as they were not interchangable among the different PIDs.

PIDs are similar in the way they work in Win2k/XP, as ProductKeys (serial numbers) are "keyed" to be accepted only by certain PIDs.

(OEM keys accepted only by OEM versions, etc.)

It was soon discovered that changing PIDs was not necessary to make specific product keys work with OS versions they shouldn't work with.

In the Win9x OS's, a single DLL makes the "call" to pidgen.dll to verify the product key entered.

A simple 2 byte change to the dll "calling" pidgen.dll for verification, allowed ANY serial number to work with any PID (version) of the Win9x OS. (In fact, any key that advanced the cursor across the product key entry screen, including the rt. arrow and space keys, were accepted as valid product key entries.)

Now it stands to reason that the same modification to the "call" to pidgen.dll in Win2k/XP would have the same result, any Product Key (serial number) would be accepted as valid for any version.

So, end of history lesson. :)

I ask again, does anyone know which exe or dll makes the "call" to pidgen.dll during the setup process, as I have been unable to determine this? :confused

Any help gladly accepted. :rolleyes: