Mystery icon on desktop

ardi

Somehow I ended up with a generic document icon on my desktop. It has the name, "If You Need To Smile.", but no file extension after the period. It can't be opened--says there is no file. Properties open but the name can't be changed etc.

I've tried everything I know to get rid of it and can't find anything in the MSFN archives that helps.

The origin of this pest is from a child's (granddaughter's) email to me. It was supposedly pictures and jokes, but I couldn't open the file in the mail program (Thunderbird) so I dragged it to the desktop to mess with it. Big mistake.

Help would be greatly apppreciated. I'll try to attached it to this message, but it is 0 bytes so I dunno...

ardi

Edited by ardi

Try Unlocker on it. Sounds like a virus. Use Kaspersky or Avast to scan your entire system of viruses. Then use Ad-Aware, Spybot and Windows Defender to remove spyware.

Edited by Jeremy

WOOOHAH!!!

Unlocker did the trick. The file wasn't locked, but the program allowed me to delete it anyway. I'd never heard of this little program but it is slick as can be. And free! What a deal.

BTW I'd already run Avast and Spybot, plus I built my granddaughter's computer with a lot of protection built-in, so I was pretty certain she hadn't sent me a bad file. There was some problem between Outlook Express and Thunderbird file attachments. I have no idea what happened but Unlocker was just the solution.

Big thanks, Jeremy!!