nlite moving msconfig.exe

newsposter

nlite 1.3RC2, msconfig.exe is explicitly listed in the [KeepFiles] section of last_session.ini

If I have nlite delete the component "Help and Support Center", msconfig.exe is gone along with the entire /windows/pchealth directory structure.

If I have nilte leave that component alone, well, msconfig.exe is still there and available.

??? and thanks!

Last_Session.ini

Edited by newsposter

Have you tried running the msconfig from the Run box?

It should be kept in the System32 folder.

Also please remove the IIS.INF from the kept files. If you need it then just don't remove IIS.

msconfig.exe (and the matching chm help flie) is nowhere to be found on an nlited source when I select "Help and Support Center" for deletion.

If I keep H&SC, msconfig.exe is in the /windows/pchealth directory tree. The .CHM lives in the help subdirectory.

On an completely 'virgin' MSFT only reference / test system (WinXP, SP2, up-to-date patch levels, no RVM or nlite), msconfig.exe 'lives' in "C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries"

Point being, if I have msconfig.exe in [KeepFiles] it shoudl still be there after nlite finishes no matter where it may be.

Tried your preset and selected Help to be removed, it worked fine. I use it like that for ages.

Check in i386\ folder of the installation source. Is there msconfig.ex_ file?

If yes then check the txtsetup.sif file for msconfig.exe entry.

msconfig ex_ and ch_ are on the ISO...

Ok, here is what I *think* is happening...

The canonical location for msconfig.exe is "C:\WINDOWS\pchealth\helpctr\binaries". There are a few third party apps that look for msconfig.exe in the MSFT-defined location and do not walk down $PATH. I've got stuff here from HP (an OpenView agent), IBM (a Tivoli/TSM backup agent), and Nortel that behave that way.

Am I correct in assuming that you put msconfig.exe into system32 for the sake of having it in $PATH?? If so, that was a good assumption except for breaking the previously defined location up in windows\pchealth\helpctr\binaries.

There are at least two ways to fix this, both of which involve creating hard NTFS junctions. If I had my pref, I'd rather see msconfig.exe left in the canonical location with a hard junction pointing there from system32 to take care of finding it via $PATH.

Unless of course I'm way off base here............ ;)

Edited by newsposter

• 3 months later...