Nlite logging

jcurran

Hi new to Nlite and of course instead of reading any instrcutions I dove right in. I'm trying to integrate a # of hotfixes into the source and a few fail with error message Wrong Hotfix "this hotfix isn't made for this version of Windows" which is wrong my source is Win2003 Standard Editions Server and the Hotfixes Im trying to install are Win2003 server fixes. Can anyone tell me if and where there is any error logging in NLite? The closet thing I have found to a log is the last session.ini. Secondly does anyone have an idea about the "WRONG HOTFIX MESSAGE", originally i though it had to do with the way we modified the name KB917953-SRV.exe , but I removed the -SRV and tried again but same error message.

Thanks

No log, the report which you get is enough to debug.

Checking KB917953...

edit: checked with 2k3 sp1 and it worked, now trying without SP1

edit2: worked without sp1

Can you be more specific, KB917953 worked for me, maybe your example wasn't based on the failed hotfix?

That was an just an example we have a # of Hotfixes named in this manner that are not being integrated here are few.

that I have documented. KB905414, kb905915,kb908519,kb0908531,kb911280,kb911562,kb911922. Does Nlite get info from a database somewhere of does it compare the versioning info it gathers from the Source you use and compare that with what if finds in the KB????

Thanks.

Got another similar report so there must be some truth in it.

I'll try tomorrow to run it from 2k3, I ran it from XP, maybe that's it.

Also if you're using some sort of 3rd party hotfix downloader try once manually. For example from the link I posted up.

I downloaded the KB as you suggested and integrated it with no problem . We do not use a 3rd party downloader . KB's are downloaded and placed in a directory on an FTP server, . Not sure why this worked??? Since I had the same kb just changed the name to shorten it for our reference purposes. Does Nlite use a Database that has all current KB information stored in it and if so is that how it determines if the patch is appropriate for the OS your trying to integrate it with??

OR does it compare version information from the Source your using to the KB's source information????

Thanks

• 1 month later...

All I have to say is a LOG, a summary, or something would help with these sort of errors. I know NO ONE agreeed with me but I think in the long run you might want to add something like this to nlite.

All sorts of errors could be helped by this. Knowing is half the battle here. :-)