installing win xp over vista

bikerz

after installing vista i had to format my win xp due to some reasons

but now i want my xp back but when i installed xp over vista ,now xp works but vista wont start

i tried recovery console from vista dvd and even the bootvis software for creating the vista boot manager but it didnt help

i want to get back the vista boot manger or atleat a option for booting vista without reinstalling vista

can anyone tell me how to install widows xp without losing vista or atleast bring back the vista boot manager back as after installing win xp

vista boot manaer will go and normal xp boot style will come so that i dont have to reinstall vista

Did you install Vista on a seperate partition? The correct order of install would be winXP first then Vista and the dual boot will be created automatically. I'm not sure of how you did your install from the info you posted.

after installing vista i had to format my win xp due to some reasons

but now i want my xp back but when i installed xp over vista ,now xp works but vista wont start

i tried recovery console from vista dvd and even the bootvis software for creating the vista boot manager but it didnt help

i want to get back the vista boot manger or atleat a option for booting vista without reinstalling vista

can anyone tell me how to install widows xp without losing vista or atleast bring back the vista boot manager back as after installing win xp

vista boot manaer will go and normal xp boot style will come so that i dont have to reinstall vista

Edited by Spooky

it is seperate partitions on same hdd

is there any method like copying the boot sector files like bcdedit and some other files of vista

as we can easily add an entry to the vista boot manager of choosing win xp if vista can be loaded after installing xp over it

Just re-install WinXP on its previous partition. To reinstall the just erased Vista Boot manager, simply use the "Repair Your Computer" option from WinRE located on your Vista DVD.

Startup Repair is located on the System Recovery Options menu, which is on the Windows installation disc. Startup Repair might also be installed on your hard disk if your computer has preinstalled recovery options. Startup Repair might prompt you to make choices as it tries to fix the problem, and if necessary, it might restart your computer as it makes repairs.

If you have a Windows installation disc:

1. Insert the installation disc. If your computer is not configured to start from a CD or DVD, check the information that came with your computer.

2. Restart your computer. Click the Start button , click the arrow next to the Lock button , and then click Restart.

3. Choose your language settings, and then click Next.

4. Click Repair your computer.

5. Select the operating system you want to repair, and then click Next.

6. On the System Recovery Options menu, click Startup Repair.

http://windowshelp.microsoft.com/Windows/e...2f3f351033.mspx
Windows RE is a combination runtime environment, diagnostic tool and repair system that basically tries to do about 80% of what one of the engineers in the Windows support team could do if they came to your home or office and hooked up a debugger up to your PC -- all without you having to do anything.

In looking at the support data, we know that the top 5 issues that cause Windows XP PCs not to boot are: 1) registry corruptions, 2) corrupt file systems (also known as NTFS metadata corruptions), 3) missing OS loader, 4) inaccessible boot devices (often caused by installing a bad storage driver) and 5) system file corruptions (some part of the OS getting deleted). These problems could happen because of hardware memory corruptions, disk corruptions, other hardware issues, buggy device drivers, or a kernel software issue. Regardless of how the system got into that state, the idea was to create an environment that would use heuristics to essentially implement a differential diagnosis to identify the issue and then use the resources in the other parts of the system configuration, combined with back-up data (such as system restore points) and a copy of key system image information to put the system back into an operating state -- without user intervention.

http://windowsvistablog.com/blogs/windowsv...nvironment.aspx

i already tried that

after installing xp i kept vista dvd and selected the repair options

in that i chose startup recovery but after clicking it says it has fixed it

but when i restart nothing comes it just keeps on restarting till again i have to keep xp cd and and use the bootfix

after using it normal xp boot screen will come and no vista boot manager

It can be done via WinRE but you may have to go through the process of restarting into WinRE and "Startup Repair" sometimes at least three times.

There are some other options though.

1. Reboot the system to WinRE and use the Startup Repair tool to attempt to repair the BCD, as previously described.

2 Use Bootrec.exe in WinRE to repair the BCD.

Boot the system into WinRE and from the command prompt use the following Bootrec command:

bootrec /rebuildbcd

This will scan all local drives for windows installations and ask you to add each to the BCD store.

3. There are some great GUI based BCD editors out there too.

EasyBCD http://neosmart.net/software.php

VistaBootPro http://www.vistabootpro.org/

Edited by vistaviewer

you can use the bootsect.exe tool on the vista DVD (DVD:\boot) to restore the vista boot sector. i dont know if it can be used from within XP - if not you can launch it by booting from your vista dvd, hit shift+f10 to get to the command promt, navigate to the "boot" folder and use it from there:

bootsect {/help|/nt60|/nt52} {SYS|ALL|<DriveLetter>:} [/force]

as you can see this tool can also be used to restore the windows XP boot sector, by using /nt52 - if you need to

I'll be getting a new computer sometime this year. I was thinking about loading XP Pro on it also. I understand with dual boot the older system is susposed to be loaded first then the new system. Is there a a good way to do this when the newer system is preloaded without causing problems like this?

Joe

Vendor Way: Perhaps you can provide whomever you`re going to buy the computer from your copy of XP for them to install on the C drive and have them load the new version of Visa on D drive. See if you can push the issue upstream. You do have a bit of leveraging power here, since you are buying the computer and the vendor will want to make a sale... Of course this option would only work when buying locally.

Total ReInstallation Way: Vista is preloaded on your machine on the C partition from the manufacturer and now you want to load on XP Pro as well. I will assume you were given a regular copy of Vista on DVD. Then I would recommend creating a D partition, installing XP onto your C partition then installing Vista on D. Vista will automatically recognize the legacy software and update your BCD store accordingly. Sounds time consuming but it`ll be XP that takes most of your time. Vista can load within an hour.