Crash of Windows Vista Home Basic during startup

Jeronimo

I installed my system completely under Windows Vista Home Basic ran by vLite and now it crashes with a tick of the HD and static from my speakers when it has just logged in. I can start safe mode and try to disable start-up items, but without luck so far. This also occured with 0.8 alpha 11, but then I did not notice the tick of the HD and the speaker noise. I thought I might have done something wrong, but now I am in doubt

Strange thing is it was this morning, while yesterday evening I restarted several times without installing new software or changing anything radical. Previous time I also tried 8 hours after initial problems, but still it did not work. I though my pc was at fault and let it run idle to allow a "warm reboot" to rule out any hardware issues.

I can not post all the details at the moment (from work), just wanted to poll if anyone else had encountered these kind of issues with vLite (I do not want to blame it, but never had this with the full Vista release.

I ran vLite for HOMEBASIC without selecting (more or less, will update later on): Shell event sounds, Windows Photo Viewer, Windows Mail, Defragmenter, Windows Aero Theme, ReadyBoost, SuperFetch.

I installed: ATI 7.1 Beta 8.33, DivX 6.4, Avast! 4 Home 4.7.942, Creative Audigy Beta 2.12.0001, DEAMON Tools 4.0.8, Firefox 2.0.0.1, Intel INF 8.1.1.1010, OpenOffice 2.1, Realtek NIC 6.101, Sun Java 1.6 (J2RE6), Xvid 1.1.2.

Edited by Jeronimo

Finally found the cause, after a lot of booting into safe mode, uninstalling a lot (Windows Installer type of installations can not be uninstalled in safe mode). When selecting 640x480 in the boot menu I did get to Vista and from there uninstalled ATI drivers. After that issue remained, but instead of a blank blue screen now a BSOD was shown with IRQ_NOT_EQUAL_OR_LESS (Or what is the message, one of the most frequently shown messages in XP, escpecially when overclocking). After this I set-up a dump file on crash and it turns out a program against activation was the cause:

:whistle: wh=V le=a

:thumbup hu=i up=e

:sneaky: n=topp ak=r -y

Edited by Jeronimo