IE7 is giving me a brain tumor.

jeffncris

Suddenly my computer refuses to go to my homepage, it just times out and gives the dreaded "404 not found" error. My homepage is www.cnn.com. I have Zone Alarm firewall and anti-virus, Windows Defender, Spyware Blaster, Bazooka, et al and none report problems after scanning. It will go to any other page, just not my homepage. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance for your help!

jeffncris

Thanks, I tried that and no good. I did download Firefox, and the same thing happens. So, something other than Explorer must be the culprit. I have sent a tech request to Zone Alarm and I am awaiting their reply cos I think it's the firewall for some reason although I can't find anything there......a nightmare.

It could very well be zone alarm - one thing you can try is to boot into safe mode w/ networking, and see if you get the same behavior there. If so, it's likely your hosts file, and if not, it's likely a 3rd party product (like zonealarm).

To use a proxy, first, open IE and then goto your internet options. Then click the tab, "Connections" then click the button, "Lan Connection"

Click the check mark (turn it on) "Use a proxy server for your LAN..." then put in the "Address" without the quotes "200.65.127.163" and in the box next to "port" put, "3128".

After doing that, click "OK" then "OK" again, and then try loading the page.

Then proxy connection works, just VERY slowly. So what does this tell me, that the problem is with the server at my ISP? Why then does my laptop connect perfectly? I am a confused puppy. Do you guys think I have undetected malware lurking? I have run Spybot, Pest Patrol, Win Defender, Giant Anti spyware, AVG, Zone Alarm anti spyware, all with no results!!!

This is a long shot but open up this file in a text editor and see if there's an entry for the US CNN page, and if so, get rid of it

C:\WINDOWS\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

PS: that's a file with no extension, not a folder

The only reasonable explanation is the problem is with the DNS servers your ISP is using.

I believe when you use a proxy, the proxy server is handling the DNS resolution, which is working fine, but your ISP's DNS is screwed up and isn't responding to your CNN page request.

You could always grab a network trace with Wireshark of this occurring, and see if you're getting any responses back from cnn.com, or if you get any abberant responses from your DNS servers when you request cnn.com.

In case you don't know, you can do a simple trace from DOS by typing:

tracert <servername>

in your case, you probably want tracert cnn.com and see where the request fails. You might want to try this more than once, sometimes I've seen a trace die on requests that work fine in a web browser.

But the truth is, overall you're somewhat screwed, and if you want the problem fixed, you need to email your ISP and file support tickets until they fix the issue.

PS: I'm 99% sure a DOS tracert will NOT use your proxy settings, so it will always use your ISP's DNS servers to begin the trace.

Edited by travisowens