Silent .NET Maker (latest update: 20080603)

Tomcat76

I'm sure this was asked and answered, but I couldn't find it in the thread...

Why does this integrate .NET 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5? 3.0 and 3.5 are backwards compatible to 2.0. There's no point in installing 2.0 or 3.0 if the system is also going to have 3.5.

Now, .NET 1.x is another beast entirely. This version is completely incompatible. I can understand wanting 1.x and 3.5 to install, but 2.0 and 3.0 are completely redundant.

Edited by da chicken

Why does this integrate .NET 2.0, 3.0, and 3.5? 3.0 and 3.5 are backwards compatible to 2.0. There's no point in installing 2.0 or 3.0 if the system is also going to have 3.5.

3.5 is backwards compatible because it has 2.0 and 3.0 included in the installer, hence the download of 3.5 installer only, and not 2.0 and 3.0 installers. This batch separates the versions for easier implementation, but you need 3.0 to install 3.5, and 2.0 to install 3.0. Read the notes in post 1.

Now, .NET 1.x is another beast entirely. This version is completely incompatible. I can understand wanting 1.x and 3.5 to install, but 2.0 and 3.0 are completely redundant.

1.1 is clever to include, since it has important security fixes for the 1.0-version installed in XP already. Just remember to install this “beast” last, and you won’t have any problems.

The install order is simply (read the notes in post 1):

2.0 (can be installed with svcpack.inf)

3.0 (runonce)

3.5 (runonce)

1.1 (runonce)

Or simply use MERGE_FRAMEWORKS=FULL

Edited by Trolleri

3.5 is backwards compatible because it has 2.0 and 3.0 included in the installer, hence the download of 3.5 installer only, and not 2.0 and 3.0 installers. This batch separates the versions for easier implementation, but you need 3.0 to install 3.5, and 2.0 to install 3.0. Read the notes in post 1.

1.1 is clever to include, since it has important security fixes for the 1.0-version installed in XP already. Just remember to install this “beast” last, and you won’t have any problems.

The install order is simply (read the notes in post 1):

2.0 (can be installed with svcpack.inf)

3.0 (runonce)

3.5 (runonce)

1.1 (runonce)

Or simply use MERGE_FRAMEWORKS=FULL

Ok m8 I hear what you are saying but I have a small problem.....

I followed the instructions as posted in the first post so I downloaded the following

.NET v1.0 and service packs

.NET v3.5 (the 231mb version)

So i then used the new modified SNM command to create the merged installer (this should make all the versions of the .NET framework into one file yes?) during the creation it gave an error saying that a file could not be found so i told it to continue and that was it. I tested the installer on my desktop to test it and it installed no problem at all except it did not install v1.0 + service packs??? I have made sure i have followed the instruction correctly so im at a loss here very strange. The only thing i can think of doing is making it again without merging them so it makes v1.0 as a seperate one but i would prefer them all in one installer :D

Anyway i hope you can help me on this one and thank you so much for your hard work in the creation of this wonderful script!

Stoner81.

... during the creation it gave an error saying that a file could not be found ...
What file could not be found? Is it the file 7za.exe?

If it is, then you have to download Tomcat76's original script: http://users.telenet.be/tc76/pool/20080603/SNM.zip

Unzip it to the same folder as the one you have all the other files in, and run strel's SNM_mod5.cmd again. Strel decided not to include this file in his package, but as far as I know, you will need it together with all the other files in SNM_mod5.zip.

When I use this script for creating the danish DNF_full.exe, I run SNM_mod5.cmd, with these files in the folder:

7za.exe

7zSD.sfx

dotnetfx.exe

dotnetfx35.exe

dotnetfx35langpack_x86da.exe

langpack.exe

NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe

NDP1.1sp1-KB928366-X86.exe

SNM_mod5.cmd

_SNM.ini (modified to MERGE_FRAMEWORKS=FULL)

And it gave me: DNF_all.exe (55,3 MB)

This danish version works with all versions and languagepacks installed correctly under Add / Remove Programs - even the languagepack for 3.5 gets installed correctly.

... I tested the installer on my desktop to test it and it installed no problem at all except it did not install v1.0 + service packs ...
It might have been my fault, that you are confused :D You will not see 1.0 in Add / Remove Programs, but you should see 1.1.
... Anyway i hope you can help me on this one and thank you so much for your hard work in the creation of this wonderful script! ...
Sorry, but I will not take credit for this script - thank Tomcat76 for it, and strel for the recent modification. But I hope my reply will help you with their awesome script!

I have a couple of computers running Win2k, and I have been using this excellent script to create a combined installer for 1.1 (with SP1 and other fixes) and 2.0SP1, which I then use with HFSLIP.

All is fine, but I still have to manually apply NDP20SP1-KB947748-x86.exe (2.0SP1 version of NDP1.1SP1-KB947742-x86.exe, MS08-052) to have the latest gdiplus.dll put in place also for 2.0SP1, so that I can keep Windows Update and MBSA content.

I understand, that when Tomcat made the original script, there were no updates for 2.0SP1, so he used an assumed naming convention for what support was built for them, and the script does not anticipate any updates beginning with a name such as NDP20SP1*. Also, from looking at the script I see that KB947742 has a specific hardcoded extraction command under 1.1, and a similar one might need to be adopted for KB947748 under 2.0SP1. However, I have not looked at the issue any deeper than that.

So, I wonder if there might be any interest among those, who better know how things like this should be done, to see if KB947748 support could easily be added for 2.0SP1. If the interest is limited, I would appreciate a tip or two just in case I might feel bold enough to experiment on my own (never done scripts like this).

I have a couple of computers running Win2k, and I have been using this excellent script to create a combined installer for 1.1 (with SP1 and other fixes) and 2.0SP1, which I then use with HFSLIP.

All is fine, but I still have to manually apply NDP20SP1-KB947748-x86.exe (2.0SP1 version of NDP1.1SP1-KB947742-x86.exe, MS08-052) to have the latest gdiplus.dll put in place also for 2.0SP1, so that I can keep Windows Update and MBSA content.

I understand, that when Tomcat made the original script, there were no updates for 2.0SP1, so he used an assumed naming convention for what support was built for them, and the script does not anticipate any updates beginning with a name such as NDP20SP1*. Also, from looking at the script I see that KB947742 has a specific hardcoded extraction command under 1.1, and a similar one might need to be adopted for KB947748 under 2.0SP1. However, I have not looked at the issue any deeper than that.

So, I wonder if there might be any interest among those, who better know how things like this should be done, to see if KB947748 support could easily be added for 2.0SP1. If the interest is limited, I would appreciate a tip or two just in case I might feel bold enough to experiment on my own (never done scripts like this).

In stead of using .NET 2.0 SP1 and KB947748 you should upgrade to .NET 2.0 SP2. .NET 2.0 SP2 is included with .NET 3.5 SP1

In stead of using .NET 2.0 SP1 and KB947748 you should upgrade to .NET 2.0 SP2. .NET 2.0 SP2 is included with .NET 3.5 SP1
Thank you for this suggestion. One reason why I may not have thought about it myself is, that, if I recall correctly, .NET 3.0 and above have WinXP as a requirement.

Also, on the face of it, I would have assumed that it would not be that simple, because the reason that Win2k needs the MS08-052 hotfixes for .NET is that there are specific gdiplus.dll files for .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 in their own specific subfolders, while WinXP makes use a single instance of gdiplus.dll. Thus I would have assumed that .NET 3.5 SP1 (and 2.0 SP2) might be a bit problematic with Win2k.

Anyway, it would mean, that I would have to prepare the installer on an XP machine to be able to work with .NET 3.5 SP1. No problem with that per se. I will have to examine this thread more closely to see what it says about using only the 2.0 SP2 portion of .NET 3.5 SP1. If you would happen to have at your fingertips any comments about how readily feasible that is, or if there is anything in particular, that should be taken into consideration, I would greatly appreciate it.

Edited by Inki

2 ALL: I've remade solution in post #265 with cosmetic enhancements, error checkings and full compatibility with Tomcat script; and updated SNM Synthesized in post #279 to include the changes. I've made a new flavour for monitoring the installing process. Resulting installers don't change from previous version except for the new flavour, of course.

2 grx11: Thank to you for helping testing.

2 Stoner81: I don't get your results. Recheck and if you get it again, tell us, but be more specific.

2 Trolleri: Installing 1.1 and 2.0 from svcpack.inf, 3.0 and 3.5 on first logon it's OK too.

...Thus I would have assumed that .NET 3.5 SP1 (and 2.0 SP2) might be a bit problematic with Win2k...

Me too. MS says 3.5 SP1 is not supported for win2k and there is no other link to get 2.0 SP2.

Edited by strel

It's almost equal to what emzendron describes in post #235. No idea of what is happening.

But be more specific.What versions did you use? Are you sure you used .NET 3.5 SP1 and 3.5 SP1 langpack? filenames are equal to that of the 3.5 versions. Did you merged frameworks? Did you uninstall previous versions before using the installers? Did you have .NET 2.0 SP1 langpack or .NET 3.0 SP1 langpack in the work folder when you build the installers?

Edited by strel

The files I use where:

dotnetfx.exe

langpack.exe

NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe

NDP1.1sp1-KB928366-X86.exe

dotnetfx35.exe

dotnetfx35langpack_x86el.exe

and the files created: DNF11_el.exe, DNF20_el.exe, DNF30_el.exe, DNF35_el.exe

I used the instructions from post #329 and tested on clean install. I installed DNF11_el.exe, DNF20_el.exe and then restarted and installed the DNF30_el.exe, DNF35_el.exe.

I've downloaded Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 - Redistributable Package from http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details...d7#Instructions

The redistributable package is NOT linked in download center and cannot be found by searching. Its ONLY linked from the page i posted above. In the Section "Instructions" you'll find the download link for the redistributable package called ".NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 (Full Package)". You don't have to change the language since this package includes everything up to .NET 3.5 SP1 including all languages. You dont have to download the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 - Language Pack. This is already included in the Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 - Redistributable Package! The Full Package contains every language available for select on the website.

To install .NET unattended i used

dotnetfx35.exe /quiet /norestart

and it works perfectly. after some reboots initiated by my unattended setup everything including NET 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 is installed, also Microsoft Update recognizes it. Each version uses the latest Service Pack including the Language Pack for each version! After installing on vanilla WinXP SP3 you'll have the following .NET Frameworks installed:

• .NET Framework 2.0 SP2
  • .NET Framework 2.0 SP2 - Language Pack
  • .NET Framework 3.0 SP2
  • .NET Framework 3.0 SP2 - Language Pack
  • .NET Framework 3.5 SP1
  • .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 - Language Pack

My unattended setup cd was a XP SP2 Version 2002 DEU with SP3 slipstreamed, installation priority is wmp11, ie7, .net and then 3rd party applications. Automatic Updates are DISABLED while installing all the software unattended but (somewhere in MS KB or TechNet or somewhere else, link soon) i read about problems installing .net 3.5 sp1 if automatic updates is disabled during setup - but i had no errors - think its a fixed release / old article).

EDIT: I recently re-installed my 2nd computer, this time with vanilla XP SP2 Version 2002. after everything was done i installed SP3, after that i installed the Full Package and again, the installation was successfully completed. Microsoft Update and Security Center > Software shows 2.0, 3.0 and 3.5 installed.

EDIT 2: I've extracted both, the NETFX35SP1 and NETFX35SP1LangPack. The Langpack is ONLY the Lang Pack but the Full Package is a fixed release with at least all patches but all supporting tools.

While browsing TechNet, Knowledge Base, MSDN and Download Center i found some information about the problems with installing / updating .NET - on one of the sites MS told to use the clwireg.exe to repair current installation of .NET so updating to newer .NET version will work. I used that on this computer here (which i have to reinstall asap, did to much testing ;)) and it didn't worked but installing it attended or unattended on my 2nd computer (each time a fresh installation of windows) works perfectly. On here i have .NETFX 2.0 SP1 + SP1 Lang Pack but not all updates and i didn't saved the installations files (and that is one problem why installer doesn't work).

I also read about missing Data Cache of currently installed .NETFX causing the problem too. You could try uninstalling .NETFX and then installing the full package above and if this doesnt work, try installing version step by step. 1) .NETFX 2.0 SP2 2) .NETFX 2.0 SP2 LangPack 3) .NETFX 3.0 SP2 4) .NETFX 3.0 SP2 LangPack 5) .NETFX 3.5 SP1 6) .NETFX 3.5 SP1 LangPack

EDIT 3: Updated used dotnetfx35.exe switches. DO NOT USE /norollback OTHERWISE SETUP WILL ABORT OR CRASH

Edited by an3k