Silent .NET Maker (latest update: 20080603)

Tomcat76

You don't mention .NET 2.0 so I'll give a double answer.

1) .NET 3.0 requires .NET 2.0 to be installed first

2) As specified in the introduction thread, if you install .NET 1.1 first and then .NET 2.0, .NET 3.0 can't be installed immediately afterwards because the combination of .NET 1.1 and .NET 2.0 causes Windows to report to other programs that .NET 2.0 isn't installed until the next reboot.

1) Yes I install 2.0 before try install 3.0 and 3.5.

2)To avoid this windows report has a regtweak, right????

Theoretically, this should've worked. But why are you trying this at T-13? .NET 3.0 SP1 and .NET 3.5 are not SVCPACK-compatible.
I always use .Net Framework All in One x86 (incl 3.5) in T-13 stage with total success, now I'm testing Silent.net Maker to try avoid some errors in .Net 2.0 detection with some specific programs in my work before I install this framework package.

PS: sorry for my poor english...

Hi there!

You made a nice job, congrats!

I would like to know if there's any hotfixes I should include for .NET 2.0SP1/3.0SP1/3.5 ? Because in your fist post, you just talk about hotfixes for .NET 1.1 SP1.

Cheers,

Kal

EDIT: Which .NET 1.1 SP1 version should I use? I can get an english and french versions on MS download center, and it seems that SNM handles correctly french redistributable package. But I prefer to be sure...

Edited by kal

oh yeah!

Really great job TomCat

:thumbup:thumbup

thanks so much man, it just works like a charm :hello:

Anyway, why if you run the script without any changes, and without including net 2.0 sp1 (where u said that it s not needed if the 3.5 is included) te sum of the outputs files is 1 mb more then if you include it lol :unsure:

p.s: we re waiting for the net compact v2 and v3 now :whistle:

thanks again :thumbup

Edited by darafat

• 1 month later...

Hm i installed .net 3.5 successfully pre-login on nlited system a couple of months ago. No troubles, just keep printer service on automatic, and voila.

At least thats what i remember, wrote about it in kurt's x64 thread i think. or nlite what to not remove perhaps. I got memory like a goldfish, almost.

Net 3.5 SP1 official version has been issued, the file name and 3.5 seems like it used integration, but also when they jumped out to extract a number of error messages, I do not know why

• 2 weeks later...

@Tomcat

I don't know if you have tested this (or if you even recommend it), but I just tried the following steps below.

1. Downloaded SNM.zip from 1st post in thread and extracted to my Work folder.
  2. For .Net Framework 1.1, downloaded the following to my Work folder:
    • dotnetfx.exe
    • NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe
    • NDP1.1sp1-KB928366-X86.exe

[*] For all other .Net Frameworks, downloaded Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Service Pack 1 Full Redistributable Package to Work folder.

[*] Skipped all language packs, since I speak English.

[*] Left all SNM.ini settings at their default values.

[*] Executed SNM.cmd.

During SNM.cmd processing, I observed one item of concern. The Command Prompt displayed the error message: "The System could not find the file specified."

post-40573-1220232762_thumb.png

[*] Installed DNF20.exe from svcpack.inf.

[*] Installed DNF30.exe, DNF35.exe, and DNF11.exe from RunOnceEx (in that order).

I observed no errors during or after the installation, and Microsoft Update finds no required updates for .Net Framework.

EDIT: I should note that all items appear correctly installed in Control Panel.

post-40573-1220235357_thumb.png

Q1: Has anyone else attempted something similar? If so, has it worked for you?

Q2: Are the any concerns or issues with this approach?

Edited by DarkShadows

@DarkShadows

in answer to your question 1 - yes, i have just followed a similar approach with the exact same result, even down to the size of the loaded components. i say similar because, i used the TC method to create 1.1, 2.0 SP1, 3.0 SP1 and 3.5 executables, loaded them into a new build in the very order you have used here. I then executed a new install and once done, executed the 3.5 SP1 executable to update the whole the framework to arrive at a 1.1, 2.0 SP2, 3.0 SP2 and 3.5 SP1 state. I then used the TC method to create new executables and replaced my original executables with the new ones and repeated the original sequence - it seems to have worked. whether it really worked, is beyond my knowledge to really confirm.

in answer to your question 2 - again, beyond my pay grade to comment.

2DarkShadows

Q1. Using a slightly modified SNM.cmd (with results comparable, see bellow), I've completed the steps in your post. The Tomcat's script mod process gives exactly the same results as yours, both with and without language packs. The manual installation works smoothly without errors for every single DNF package, showing correctly in control panel and not requiring updates.

Q2. Don't know, but looks well, I'm gonna use it. EDIT: See posts #228 and #231

2Tomcat76

EDIT: This solution has been integrated in Silent .NET Maker synthesized

I've modified slightly your process TO OBTAIN REAL SILENT INSTALLERS, I mean without extraction boxes. It can be recreated:

1. I've downloaded the modified version of 7zS.sfx by Oleg_Sch that doesn't need msistub.exe nor hidcon.exe and allows to hide the 7-zip package extraction. It's the first link of the download link section. I've extracted the file 7zSD.sfx to SNM.zip extraction folder. When finished this steps 7zS.sfx, hidcon.exe and msistub.exe, will be no longer needed for this operation, so it can be deleted.

http://www.7zsfx.info

SNM.cmd has been modified. I have replaced what's inside the quotes:

2. "(hidcon msistub 7za)" with "(7za)"

3. All "7zS.sfx" strings with "7zSD.sfx"

4. All "/passive" strings with "/quiet"

5. All " MSISTUB " strings with " " (observe the space characters)

6. The strings of the form "&COPY hidcon.EXE DNF >NUL" or "&COPY MSISTUB.EXE DNF >NUL"

and variations without the initial &, and with DNF1, DFN2, DFN3 or DFN35 in place of DFN, have been deleted.

7. In the :EXEMAKER section near the end of the file, the line:

ECHO>>config.txt RunProgram="hidcon.exe INSTALL.CMD"

has been replaced with:

ECHO>>config.txt RunProgram="hidcon:INSTALL.CMD"
ECHO>>config.txt GUIMode="2"

EDIT: Here there was a link to a modified script but have been updated with the one in post #279.

Edited by strel

there are svcpack style installers available for 3.5sp1. Just in case someone was unaware.

http://www.ryanvm.net/forum/viewtopic.php?...p;highlight=net

to name one that I have tested myself.

Not to say the Silent .Net Maker is not appreciated!! This is the first method I ever used for .Net Installations.

By the chance someone has software that requires .NET 2.0 before RunOnceEx, there are other options.

Edited by thedexmonster

I try to use only those techniques where I can review all the details about what is getting installed on the systems I'm building (since I'm the guy responsible for them). So, I try to stay away from "black box" solutions as much as possible. So I really appreciate Tomcat's work here, since it's easy to review the SNM.cmd script, and the resulting packages have always worked flawlessly for me.

My questions above were more about using .Net Framework 3.5 SP1 full distributable as opposed to .Net Framework 3.5 full distributable (i.e. no SP) with SNM.cmd. I don't believe anyone had tested and verified that it would work. It's been so far, so good in my tests, but I wanted to see if others had similar experiences.