Silent .NET Maker (latest update: 20080603)

Tomcat76

How did you slip MSP's into MSI's?

I've extracted packages, then I did

start /wait FOR %f IN (*.msp) DO msiexec /p %f /a [name_of_the_msi]

in the folder with MSP's.

=====edit=====

@Tomcat76

Maybe you could just code Silent .NET Maker to extract .NET 3.5 redistributable (dotnetfx35.exe with 7 zip and then, to patch MSI's with MSP's.

I'm not sure if it's a good idea..

Edited by spitf1r3

I don't think compact framework can do the thing..

I've tried .NET compact framework 2, and the normal windows .NET application didn't wanted to start.

AFAIK compact framework is for mobile devices...

BUT...I might be wrong;D

They just mess with compatibility, and numbers....

3, and 3.5 include 2, but 2 doesn't include 1.

Sounds like mess;/

That's why TC76 is building this...

========EDIT==========

OOOPS!

Sorry for double-posting, I've made that by accident..

If any moderator is here: could you please delete this post?

Edited by spitf1r3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Just to answer the question that's being asked over and over again.... I didn't abandon this script. It's just that I didn't find a way to silently install .NET 2.0 SP1 and .NET 3.0 SP1 aside from just repacking it. Silent .NET Maker is about creating an administrative install, patching the updates into that, and creating a new install package. This has failed until now and I haven't been able to figure out why. I recently followed someone's advise to extract the .NET 2.0 SP1 executable and to patch the contained MSI with the contained MSP files, but that share always fails to install (can't install from Netfx20a_x86.msi, can't install from vs_setup.msi and can't install from setup.exe), and I've tried many switches. Note that I didn't even try to install at T-13; my attempts only included installs on a real system so the problem is not installation at T-13 but installation in general. I've been trying that for two days straight with no meaningful result apart from the fact that I made a new 7zS.sfx file but I won't release a new version of Silent .NET Maker just for that.

If there's any guide that would explain how to make an administrative install of .NET 2.0 SP1 and .NET 3.0 SP1 so that they can be easily patched with future updates *and* can be installed, please share it.

@Tomalak:

NDP1.1sp1-KB867460-X86.exe = SP1 for .NET 1.1

NDP1.1sp1-KB928366-X86.exe = latest cumulative post-SP1 update for .NET 1.1

NDP20-KB928365-X86.exe = latest cumulative update for .NET 2.0 SP0

So the list is complete as far as .NET 1.1 SP1 and .NET 2.0 SP0 are concerned.

If there's any guide that would explain how to make an administrative install of .NET 2.0 SP1 and .NET 3.0 SP1 so that they can be easily patched with future updates *and* can be installed, please share it.

@Tomcat76

Have you read through Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Administrator Deployment Guide (MSDN)? It has a lot of information in it. I haven't had time to play with it yet. It is seems aimed at an active directory environment, but I'm wondering if there isn't a way to leverage some of that into a self-extracting executable?

Most notable to me is the example NT Command Script at the bottom of the page. In the very last section of code:

REM ------------------------------------------------------------
REM create the NETFX30 SP1 x86 admin install point

REM 3.0 SP1 files location
Set fx30=%WORKFOLDER%\ext\wcu\dotNetFramework\dotNetFX30\
md %WORKFOLDER%\AIP\NETFX30_x86
call msiexec /a %fx30%netfx30a_x86.msi /update %fx30%WCF.msp;%fx30%WCS.msp;%fx30%WF.msp;%fx30%WPF1.msp;%fx30%WPF2.msp;%fx30%WPF_Other.msp;%fx30%XPS.msp;%fx30%WF_32.msp;%fx30%WPF2_32.msp;%fx30%WPF_Other_32.msp USING_EXUIH=1 REBOOT=ReallySuppress /l*v %WORKFOLDER%\logs\netfx30_x86.log TARGETDIR=%WORKFOLDER%\AIP\NETFX30_x64

REM create the NETFX30 SP1 x64 admin install point
md %WORKFOLDER%\AIP\NETFX30_x64
call msiexec /a %fx30%netfx30a_x64.msi /update %fx30%WCF.msp;%fx30%WCS.msp;%fx30%WF.msp;%fx30%WPF1.msp;%fx30%WPF2.msp;%fx30%WPF_Other.msp;%fx30%XPS.msp;%fx30%WCF_64.msp;%fx30%WCS_64.msp;%fx30%WF_64.msp;%fx30%WPF1_64.msp;%fx30%WPF2_64.msp;%fx30%WPF_Other_64.msp USING_EXUIH=1 REBOOT=ReallySuppress /l*v %WORKFOLDER%\logs\netfx30_x64.log TARGETDIR=%WORKFOLDER%\AIP\NETFX30_x64

EDIT: Also see Microsoft .NET Framework 3.5 Deployment Guide for Application Developers

Edited by DarkShadows