Silent .NET Maker (latest update: 20080603)

Tomcat76

I am running the new version under Windows 2000, no language packs and no .NET3.0, and it created the DNF11.exe file after about 1.5 hours and is has been on "Creating silent .NET 2.0 installer..." for about 40 minutes. Should I assume this is normal? I guess there is quite a bit of processing going on.

To be honest I was running a cpu intensive VM for a while too, but I am out of it now, and I noticed the same with the old version.

Edited by daddydave

It isn't normal. How much memory do you have? Are you creating these installers in a VM?

Not running the script under a VM, but see edit to previous post. The other VM CPU% did spike at times, it was running an unattended Windows install of all things!

Physical: 457136 KB

Pagefile: initial 672MB, Current 672MB,, maximum 1344MB, recommended 669MB

Processor: Sempron 3200 I think

If I run it again, I'll try increasing the pagefile and running it by itself. 1 GB memory stick is in my future I hope.

EDIT Memory usage of 7za.exe changes every second but gets over 300,000 K sometimes according to Task Manager. It takes a while (a minute maybe?) for it to add a second to CPU Time for 7za, currently at 2:38

Edited by daddydave

I don't really know how much RAM is needed and how big the pagefile should be for this sort of stuff. I was using 2x512MB sticks for a long time and now have 2x1024MB sticks. The pagefile has been on 2GB all this time.

My timings:

* create admin source for DNF11 and langpack + slipstream patches = 24 seconds

* create admin source for DNF20 and langpack + slipstream patches = 16 seconds

* create DNF11.exe from admin source = 43 seconds

* create DNF20.exe from admin source = 64 seconds

I know that the process of making the EXEs requires quite a bit of memory and that the amount of memory does have a say in this, but your timings are really extreme. I suppose mine are too but it shouldn't be too much slower.

Set your pagefile to a fixed 1024MB or 1536MB (identical min & max) and see if that helps.

Only 2 questions... why do you integrate net framework 2.0 in the 3.0 net package? I know that the 3.0 net framework is 2.0 net plus some other applications... I think is better (for smaller installer) if you write in the install requirement that "if you want to install 3.0, you MUST install 2.0 net package too". Isn't it better?

Another question is: the net framework 3.0 doesn't install windows cardspace or something like it (maybe I don't remember well)? If yes, I haven't any icon of Windows Cardspace in Control Panel.

Edited by S3pHiroTh

Only 2 questions... why do you integrate net framework 2.0 in the 3.0 net package? I know that the 3.0 net framework is 2.0 net plus some other applications... I think is better (for smaller installer) if you write in the install requirement that "if you want to install 3.0, you MUST install 2.0 net package too". Isn't it better?
If you want to exclude .NET 2.0 from the .NET 3.0 package, simply set PROCESS_DNF3_DNF2 to NO in the answer file. I won't make this the default behavior because .NET 2.0 is part of the .NET 3.0 package you download from Microsoft.
Another question is: the net framework 3.0 doesn't install windows cardspace or something like it (maybe I don't remember well)? If yes, I haven't any icon of Windows Cardspace in Control Panel.
Well... Don't really know what to say to that.

I don't see it in the .NET 3.0 package and can't find any info on how to deploy it either (provided it's hidden somewhere in .NET 3.0)...

@daddydave

Please try the latest version. You can change the compression ratio with it. Try COMPRESSION_RATIO=MED and if that doesn't help go with COMPRESSION_RATIO=LOW.

@S3pHiroTh

Windows Cardspace is installed when using the installer on an existing Windows system. I'll do a test later to see if it works from SVCPACK too.

@glentium

The problem with the msxml6 package in .NET 3.0 is that it's older than the KB927977 hotfix *and* will overwrite the newer file versions that you slipstreamed. You basically have two options:

1) slipstream the binaries from KB927977 into Windows and create a silent .NET installer that doesn't include msxml6 (PROCESS_DNF3_MSXML6=NO)

2) do not slipstream KB927977 into Windows but place the msxml6.msi file from it in the SNM working folder

The end result is the same.

COMPRESSION_RATIO=LOW did the trick for DNF20. I tried MED

DNF11 creation has been zippy ever since increasing the page file size as you suggested

So I'll use DNF11 from blank COMPRESSION_RATIO= and DNF20 from COMPRESSION_RATIO=LOW

Thanks a lot! :thumbup

Edited by daddydave

If you put only one version of a net framework, the output is only an exe file that install that version, if you put, for examples, net 1.1 binaries and net 2.0 binaries, the output of this script will consists of 2 exe installer, one for 1.1 net framework and the other for the 2.0 net framework.

If you put only one version of a net framework, the output is only an exe file that install that version, if you put, for examples, net 1.1 binaries and net 2.0 binaries, the output of this script will consists of 2 exe installer, one for 1.1 net framework and the other for the 2.0 net framework.

Thank you !