New VM - VirtualBox

jmbattle

Here are the results. I compared the time it took to install xp pro sp2 from the time the vm powered on to the time the desktop was loaded (wallpaper, taskbar, etc, appeared). I used the same iso file as the install source, both vms had the same disk span and memory allocation. Both vm's were created on a partition with about 34GB of free space and about 2% fragmentation.

VirtualBox - 9:19

VMware - 10:12

Thats about 10% faster :)

NOTE that Windows Setup time is probably largely determined by the read/write speed of the hard drive and not so much the vm. So I would expect a wider performance rift in benchmarks that better test the vm software itself.

Ok - I'll definately say wow about this... so much simpler than VMware or VPC, and the performance is just stunning...

I would say it's also it's biggest downside: simpler than other virtualization solutions also means "missing advanced features" in this case. It seems like a pretty good alternative to the overpriced vmware workstation though: 200$ for what everybody else gives away (this, VPC and others) or sells quite cheap (e.g. Parallels). Maybe soon enough VMWare will have to live off its ESX sales. They're only going to manage to sell their workstation product for so long at that price.

Not much of a server virtualization product though. VMWare Server (and Virtual Server 2005 R2) is still king there for many, many reasons: VirtualBox doesn't start as service which is absolutely essential, simpler networking, no image conversion tool to use all the existing vhd & vmdk images (nor the upcoming ones being released by various vendors as virtual appliances or as MS are doing right now for evals in vhd format), no migration products like VMWare has (P2V et al), no iSCSI support, no remote admin tools/console, doesn't have any of the scripting stuff vmware has, no upgrade path to something like ESX (with clustering, failover and all that), likely not quite the same level of support available (no major vendor behind it), etc.

By the way, VMWare has a new product: VMware Lab Manager (still beta), and it looks VERY nice and useful for programmers (for doing testing including deployment). Just too bad it'll cost an arm and a leg.

@crahak - Sure... but for someone like me (and I'm sure I'm not alone here), VirtualBox does exactly what I need. I don't make use of scripts, remote administration, etc etc. I want something that I can test my latest XPlode config, or a new Linux distro, or something like that. A computer within a computer - nothing more - nothing less. Many people here like to use VMware to test out their nLite ISOs before installing them on their real PCs.

I don't think that anyone would argue that VirtualBox is a replacement for VMware, but it's a pretty good freeware alternative. :yes:

Hello

I have tested it last days. This software has a big potential in my opinion. Compare to the other solutions. Its simplicity make the software efficient instead VMWare and VPC.

Otherwise, some improvements (sure they will come soon) about usb, network and sound, will be better.

It is the only which allow me, without errors, to install solaris 10 !

Good chance Virtual Box

Does VirtualBox support basic networking in XP? I'm running a default vanilla XP Corp in it and can see my local workgroup but don't see my local shares listed. This is essential for what I'm doing right now and I can't seem to drag&drop to/from like in VMware. If it's currently not implemented that's fine. I can go back to VMware until it is. Just wondering, though. :hello:

crap, i dont think it installs on xp x64, can anyone else confirm this?

edit: according to their site, "Support for Mac OS X and 64-bit operating systems is currently in the works."

Edited by ripken204