Using an external monitor on a laptop

Silverscreen

I'm trying to connect my dell monitor (dell ultra sharp 1704 fpv) to my laptop and using it as my default monitor. however, it doesnt seem to work.

i have managed to extend my screen onto the monitor but unable to use the monitor just on its own.

I'm using xp home edition atm. the software installed default is the Intel® 82852/82855 Graphics Controller Family.

please help?

Are you sure that you have the correct drivers installed? I assume that by saying "on it's own" you mean turning off the laptop screen and letting the external monitor do the work.

Have you tried cloning the image? What happends then?

Oh, and what GPU does your computer have?

Most laptops when started with an external screen will use only that screen. There might also be a Function key (Fn F5 or something like that) to switch monitors (intern/exterrn/both). there is also an identical menu in the "advanced" menu of the graphic properties.

• 3 months later...

you need to go into the advanced tab and open the graphics card software, then clone the laptops display to the monitor. that should do it :)

also set the laptop to do nothing when you close the lid

thanks

Idontwantdiggingupoldthreads. :huh:

Geez. There was a question that was never totally answered. So I provided a piece of feedback that could be helpful. There's no need to be rude, you could just say "why did you bring up that old thread?" or something like that. Take a chill-pill, man.