Clean install of an upgrade ?

DaRKNeSS666NL

Okee,

I have bought me an new pc with MCE and an upgrade to Vista home primium.

My question is can I do an clean install with the upgrade dvd?

I know that this was posible with the old Win98, when I installed the upgrade it asked for the

Win95 cd to verify some files, and installed fine.

I prefer an clean install, and allso that way I don't need to install twice first mce and after vista.

TIA DaRKNeSS

I know in XP upgrade cds first thing is it checks for previously installed os's. If there is an upgradable version installed it will then procede, first option is where to upgrade. I hit esc to reformat and it installs fresh.

• 2 weeks later...

You will have to reinstall twice. Vista does not prompt you for your full version disc, it only checks for a previous install on the hard drive. What this means is you will end up having to install XP first and then install Vista upgrade on top of it. It's kind of clunky, but that's why don't recommend upgrade versions. If it came as a free upgrade to your system, then I'd accept it for what it is: A free way to get Vista, but it takes a little extra work.

The real question here is what files does the upgrade look for and can we get away with just sticking those files on a blank hard drive and installing Vista. While it may still be a cumbersone process, at least the upgrade would be somewhat smooth.

You need a 100% licensed and legit version XP installed before you can "upgrade" to Vista. If you boot from the DVD it will probably tell you that in order to start this installation, you must start from within Windows, just like if you wanted to upgrade anyway. And now with the new checks in place, if that installation fails WGA, the upgrade will not be completed.

So you probably need more than a few files on the HDD to do it.

Here is the workaround....

http://www.dailytech.com/Workaround+Discov...article5932.htm

1. Boot from the Windows Vista Upgrade DVD and start the setup program.

2. When prompted to enter your product key, DO NOT enter it. Click "Next" and proceed with setup. This will install Windows Vista as a 30-day trial.

3. When prompted, select the edition of Vista which you have purchased and continue with setup.

4. Once setup has been completed and you have been brought to the desktop for the first time, run the install program from within Windows Vista.

5. This time, type in your product key when prompted.

6. When asked whether to perform an Upgrade or Custom (advanced) install, choose Custom (advanced) to perform a clean install of Vista. Yes, this means that you will have to install Vista for a second time.

7. Once setup has completed for the second time, you should be able to activate Windows Vista normally. You can also delete the Windows.old directory which contains information from the first Vista install.

does this mean that you do not have to have a valid XP install/Key/License in order for the upgrade edition to install? i know that the EULA doesnt allow it but would it be possible?

Yes, but of course, that would violate your EULA.

Edited by TrAvELAr

I think it is legit. If I remember correctly MS allows you to use an upgrade as long as you have a valid license (including trial licenses) for a previous or the same version.

UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is

eligible for the upgrade. Upon upgrade, this agreement takes the place of the agreement

for the software you upgraded from. After you upgrade, you may no longer use the

software you upgraded from.

I think it is legit. If I remember correctly MS allows you to use an upgrade as long as you have a valid license (including trial licenses) for a previous or the same version.
UPGRADES. To use upgrade software, you must first be licensed for the software that is

eligible for the upgrade.

You are not licensed if you are running a trial version (you opted not to enter a key at all), so it is not legitimate and is a breach of the EULA.

(Not considering any 'work arounds' or 'hacks') I think MS disabled the ability to do a clean install from an upgrade version didn't they? Used to be an upgrade version of windows asked to see a previous version before continuing, then it did a full clean install, but I do believe this capability has been removed for Vista.

Edited by Spooky

(Not considering any 'work arounds' or 'hacks') I think MS disabled the ability to do a clean install from an upgrade version didn't they? Used to be an upgrade version of windows asked to see a previous version before continuing, then it did a full clean install, but I do believe this capability has been removed for Vista.

yes, from what ive read its only possible to start the upgrade from within an already installed windows. but obviously vista doesnt care what version of windows that is, and whether its activated or not.

You are not licensed if you are running a trial version (you opted not to enter a key at all), so it is not legitimate and is a breach of the EULA.

I tried this method and agree with you but only regarding this particular method. You aren't granted the right to install a version other than the one you purchased. Installing a different version without a key doesn't result in a licensed trial, it results in an unlicensed installation that MS can't differentiate from a licensed trial. However installing with trial media (and a trial key if needed) and then upgrading would be legit. Of course you would need a new trial if you intend to reinstall after your previous trial period would have expired.

However installing with trial media (and a trial key if needed) and then upgrading would be legit.
I doubt it.

The purpose of a trial is a period to test a product with a view to purchasing (and licensing) that product once you are happy it meets your requirements.

The reason an upgrade version is cheaper than a full version is because it is seen as a "loyalty discount" - you have paid for a previous version and so get a rebate of sorts on the new version.