How to upgrade Win 98

Milos M.

Hi

Can U help me

What patches should i download that are necessary but they arent included in project jackhammer so my win 98 could work with newest apps and usb support

Thanks in advance

Edited by Milos M.

• 3 months later...

Wait,im a noob but a Windows 98 series fan ;)

After formating a Hard Drive I Install :

-Windows 98

-Revolutions Pack 7 (Can I avoid getting the new icons,can I keep the old ones,and I hate Vista Theme can i somehow not install it ?? )

Thats All?

Because,I dont know i`ve had a problems installing Windows 98,it gets stuck after,starting windows for the first time(someone told me its because i have 1 GB of RAM Memory).

And i have Googled the web and I have found (autopatcher_for_Win98_preview_release_v1.8(3)),it looks like something usefull but i dont know should i install it,you know compactibility and stuff like that.

And is there possibility to use NTFS on Windows 98 ?

Thanks in advance

Milos

P.S.If You have MSN you can add me : milos2oo6@hotmail.com

you cant have ntfs on 98 without a thirdparty app

a lot of what revolutions pack 7 does is update icons and i thought it was installed with jackhammer

the autopatcher will update just about everything so you could use it after a clean install of windows and you will get all the updates

nusb and 98se2me offer better usb support

Generally speaking, one heck of a good upgrade for any ol' 98 machine is an MS upgrade to 98/SE followed by the install of the Unofficial Service Pack for Windows 98/SE. Both printer and USB support are increased.

All the necessary elements are readily available. :thumbup

Cheers!

:ph34r:

Thanks Mates,but how do I install ntfs ??? i thought it was only offered fat 16 and fat 32

a lot of what revolutions pack 7 does is update icons
I dont know if you did understand me,can i install only updates from RE 7,not the icons ? Edited by Milos M.

the problem is that the files that it updates also have new icons in them but you should be able to do some of the updates without the icons you should ask tihiy

Ok,I thought you maybe know this,i have sent him PM,i will now wait.

btw which PC do you have,newer or the older ones ?

that depends what you consider as newer or older?

the fastest computer i have is a PIII 866Mhz and the slowest is well umm Amstrad CPC 464 4Mhz but

i dont use the Amstrads very often.

I use mostly a PIII 866Mhz, PIII 667Mhz, AMDK6-2 350Mhz

is that the answer you wanted?

that depends what you consider as newer or older?

the fastest computer i have is a PIII 866Mhz and the slowest is well umm Amstrad CPC 464 4Mhz but

i dont use the Amstrads very often.

I use mostly a PIII 866Mhz, PIII 667Mhz, AMDK6-2 350Mhz

is that the answer you wanted?

Yep,because im going to buy second PC for me,and i wanted to know what will be the best processor to use for Win 98...as i thought PIII

Huge Thanks

As to best processor for Win 98, I have been using Asus K8v-X-SE with AMD 64 3700(754 pin) with 1 meg RAM and AIW graphics card running Win 98SE for about 9 months now with Happauge 350 hardware MPEG encoder capture card, desktop video and tons of 32 bit DVD making software installed. It all runs perfectly, except MS scandisk and defrag dont work. I'm using an alternative scan and defrag. Oh yea, ATI screwed me with their AIW 2006; their website talks about ATI's undying devotion to Windows 98 users, but after the card was bought and paid for I found out they were lying - no multimedia drivers for Win 98. Can't trust manufacturer websites anymore, post and read the feedback.

best regards

--bigjet

As to best processor for Win 98, I have been using Asus K8v-X-SE with AMD 64 3700(754 pin) with 1 meg RAM and AIW graphics card running Win 98SE for about 9 months now with Happauge 350 hardware MPEG encoder capture card, desktop video and tons of 32 bit DVD making software installed. It all runs perfectly, except MS scandisk and defrag dont work. I'm using an alternative scan and defrag. Oh yea, ATI screwed me with their AIW 2006; their website talks about ATI's undying devotion to Windows 98 users, but after the card was bought and paid for I found out they were lying - no multimedia drivers for Win 98. Can't trust manufacturer websites anymore, post and read the feedback.

best regards

--bigjet

Nvidia is the best ... i mean i have Ati at the moment but I would rather have Nvidia in my pc

Thanks bigjet

well i use a PIII because thats the best i have and i cant get another not because i dont want a faster its because its all i have.

Nvidia is generally better in terms of graphics and benchmarks and things but ATI provides better drivers which work with 32bit icons where as 32bit icons dont display as well on an Nvidia Card