Win 2k3 Workstation conversion questions

lonewolf

Have been reading about the Windows 2003 Server conversions to a Workstation OS. I have a few questions before I do this. Forgive me if this is covered elsewhere as I couldn't find the answers on this site or anywhere else...

This is not meant to offend /accuse anyone of wrong doing either. I just want to cover my bases before I dive in. I have a full boxed and shrinkwrapped Windows 2003 Enterprise Server 25 cal sitting here staring me in the face waiting for me to do something with it.

1. Is this conversion really legal? Are the conversions violating the "anti" reverse engineering clauses I assume are in the EULA?

2. What about the tweak software to switch the id to make it appear as a workstation and not a server to be able to install certian 3rd party application software. (I can't recall the name ~ *NTsomething*) Again same question as #1 above. Same goes for the installation of the windows XP parts, Games, Themes, System Restore, etc.

3. Assuming all this is O.K. to do, do you activate the product like usual? I suppose that you need to get an authorization/activation code. Is this to be done before or after the conversion process?

4. What about service packs and hotfixes? Will they still be applicable? After the conversion will Windows Update still work? Will it alert MS to something that wasn't intended to be done with their software?

5. Has anyone run things like AutoCad or other application software on this converted OS? What were your experiences?

Anything else I should know?

Thank you. I know this was alot, but I thought it would be easier to ask all in one place.

Jared R. Finkenbinder

lonewolf@ultra2k.com

. Is this conversion really legal? Are the conversions violating the "anti" reverse engineering clauses I assume are in the EULA?

you are not doing anything to the system illegaly, you are just turning on some options that were off and adding things that are already there but disabled

2. What about the tweak software to switch the id to make it appear as a workstation and not a server to be able to install certian 3rd party application software. (I can't recall the name ~ *NTsomething*) Again same question as #1 above. Same goes for the installation of the windows XP parts, Games, Themes, System Restore, etc.

to convert 2003 to a workstation, you don't need to use that program, its just if you want to change 2003 to xp or if you want to change your 2003 standard to say enterprise edition or datacenter. that as far as i know is not legal

3. Assuming all this is O.K. to do, do you activate the product like usual? I suppose that you need to get an authorization/activation code. Is this to be done before or after the conversion process?

you activate windows just like you would any other time, there is nothing different with the windows, you just have a more xpish type interface, with music and other such things

4. What about service packs and hotfixes? Will they still be applicable? After the conversion will Windows Update still work? Will it alert MS to something that wasn't intended to be done with their software?

you can still get every service pack and hotfix, there is nothing done to your system that will not allow you to get that, you are just enabling things that were disabled

5. Has anyone run things like AutoCad or other application software on this converted OS? What were your experiences?

autocad 2002 runs alot faster on 2003 than it did on xp, and most programs do, there are very rare problems with video cards not having the latest drivers and such, but other than that things run alot smoother on 2003 after you convert it to a workstation

Is this conversion really legal?
I can't imagine why not, as long as you purchased a legal copy. All you are mainly doing is changing certain settings such as memory and cpu use, and activating already present services such as audio, 3d acceleration, etc., which is perfectly fine to do.
to be able to install certian 3rd party application software.

This probably goes against some license agreements of certain software, but I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. As for the XP parts, if you own a copy of XP I see nothing wrong with it.

do you activate the product like usual?
Yes, it works the same either way.
service packs and hotfixes? Will they still be applicable?

Yes

Has anyone run things like AutoCad or other application software on this converted OS?
I haven't myself, but I imagine they would work just fine as long as they are supported in Windows XP and 2003.
Anything else I should know?

It takes a bit of work to get everything set up properly, and some devices may not be supported. I could not install the Intellipoint software for example. As for using it as a workstation, I tried it until my evaluation time ran out and went back to XP. It does make a nice workstation, but XP is more widely supported for home use and a whole lot easier to set up. That's just my opinion though, your mileage may vary. :)

Thanks, ya-all,

I have windows 2k0 right now. Got this 2k3 through a giveaway at my local users group. Thought it might be a way to "get XP" without having to spring for an upgrade as I don't have any income right now...

I do have a fair amount of computer experience tho and I am ok with tinkering under the hood as it were, but there is always alot to learn. For example at the afforementioned users group meetings, I am really in over my head. It is an IT/Administrator group. But I do understand more of what is discussed now than a year ago!

Thanks again for your answers!

Jared R. Finkenbinder

lonewolf@ultra2k.com

What you want to know is here: http://win2k3.MSFN.org/

All you applications will work, but many peripherals will not (mouse drivers, digital camera drivers, scanner drivers). Win2k3 was designed to be a Server, not a Workstation, but it can be tweaked to perform more like a workstation. I used an evaluation copy for several months.

If you want to try out your copy, create a separate partition and configure for a multi-boot (I use Partition Magic/Boot Magic).

You have to use TweakNT to trick it into being XP Home or Pro in order to install some apps that use the MSI Installer (NAV, NSW, PM, etc.). If you don't the installer will detect a server OS and will simply refuse to install..

During which state your OS is having an identity crises like this, some functionality will be broken, but I have just noticed it was only Windows Update, and may also be anything that you can normally download from WU. Similar OSes such as XP Pro & XP Home and 2000 Pro & 2000 Advanced Server won't have this problem..

I guess I do not understand the "facination" of running Windows Server 2k3 as a workstation. I run it at home myself (eval edition), but as a fully functional server. I use it to emulate a "real" domain so that I can play around with it and try things that I wouldn't dare at work. I also use it to play around with RIS, AD and run my own local webserver. I can understand if you want to learn about it, but who in their right mind would spend $800+ on an OS to have on their home PC? I also understand the need for some people to deconstruct things, but this seems stupid to me.

I guess I do not understand the "facination" of running Windows Server 2k3 as a workstation.  I run it at home myself (eval edition), but as a fully functional server.  I use it to emulate a "real" domain so that I can play around with it and try things that I wouldn't dare at work.  I also use it to play around with RIS, AD and run my own local webserver.  I can understand if you want to learn about it, but who in their right mind would spend $800+ on an OS to have on their home PC?  I also understand the need for some people to deconstruct things, but this seems stupid to me.

the facination for me is doing something new and challanging and this was it for a while, i had it running and noticed increased performance and the performance gain was noticable.

as for spending $800 i wouldnt go that far i was running a legal copy of the trial which served its porpose and playing around is the best way to learn i suppose

I guess I do not understand the "facination" of running Windows Server 2k3 as a workstation.  I run it at home myself (eval edition), but as a fully functional server.  I use it to emulate a "real" domain so that I can play around with it and try things that I wouldn't dare at work.  I also use it to play around with RIS, AD and run my own local webserver.  I can understand if you want to learn about it, but who in their right mind would spend $800+ on an OS to have on their home PC?  I also understand the need for some people to deconstruct things, but this seems stupid to me.
I guess I do not understand the "facination" of running Windows Server 2k3 as a workstation. 
I hadn't thought to use it this way either until I came across the MSFN article. I thought it sounded intriguing and perhaps it would be a way for me to get to use newer software for the heck of it. Besides, while I have no need for a server, I have learned more about the inner workings of an operating system and how to make some tweaks, changes or improvements in an unconventional way. Any knowledge I can gain I see as a good thing.
who in their right mind would spend $800+ on an OS to have on their home PC?

If you check out my message above I didn't have to pay for this software! I got it through a legitamite giveaway at my local users group! While I don't necessarily have the best computer, or the latest software, I have wanted to upgrade my pc. this seems like it might be a way to gain some of the new functionality of the newer generation OS without having to spend anything!

Jared R. Finkenbinder

lonewolf@ultra2k.com