7800GS & Win98SE

risk_reversal

Is anyone using a 7800GS (AGP) card with Win98SE without any issues.

I ask because I have a dual boot system 98SE / XP and am trying to install a BFG 7800GS OC using the 82.16 drivers listed on BFG's site.

The drivers install correctly but I am having shutdown issues with the pc either hanging on a dos type screen or getting a 'windows protection error' message.

I read the earlier thread to do with 7 series cards and hacked the 81.98 inf file so that it could install those drivers but am getting more issues with the 81.98.

In the first instance, can anyone confirm that they are running a BFG 7800GS (or any 7800GS) without issues on 98SE.

Many thanks

Edited by risk_reversal

The 7800GS? Cool. Wish I had the money to get it.

As awergh says, it's a general Nvidia problem. I've had it as well with a GeForce 6200... And I remember other people having this problem too.

To shutdown the PC, select "reboot in dos mode" rather than "shutdown" and press enter when you reach the black screen. It's annoying but that's about it.

Apart from this issue, please tell us how everything is working! I'm curious.

the latest drivers for nvidia drivers had bugs so if you type win in dos it will not boot
I did see that awergh. I can live with that.

glocK_94, I thought long and hard before parting with my cash plus I also got this card cheap but new from ebay. Paid 2/3 of the full retail price, otherwise would not have jumped into it.

To shutdown the PC, select "reboot in dos mode" rather than "shutdown" and press enter when you reach the black screen. It's annoying but that's about it.

I get the same shutdown issues if I try that which I already did before posting. Once pc is off if I boot ie cold boot scandisk runs. My alternative simply because I dual boot with XP is to reboot to my XP partition and then shutdown. I have not installed the card into XP yet but hope there will be no further issues.

Apart from the shutdown issue things seem ok with this card. At this stage there are no other issues that are manifesting themselves. The card is fast but I don't game much in 98SE. Do you want me to post some benchmark results from 98SE, if so let me know which ones.

The one thing about this card is that the fan is really loud when running on full. Like a hairdrier no less but using RivaTuner the fan can be slowed down in 2D/3D mode and runs quietly. The card runs pretty cold 39/40C on idle. The BFG has a cold bug problem also whereby if the card's temp falls much below the high 30's (the card's) performance can and does collapse. So slowing the fan down alleviates that issue also.

The one last thing about this card is that it runs at 400/1250 with 16pps and 6vps but it can be overclocked giving additional boosts. Coolbits showed that this card can run at 500/1400 and many have it set even higher.

Cheers

Edited by risk_reversal

The 7800GS? Cool. Wish I had the money to get it.

As awergh says, it's a general Nvidia problem. I've had it as well with a GeForce 6200... And I remember other people having this problem too.

I've been using 6200 for past six months on home-built PC dual-boot. I also had that shutdown problem (not consistently) with win98 but not with XP. Now it's solved by the simple expedient of running Msconfig and disabling Nvcpl on start-up. I also disabled nvidia services. Neither of these are essential so far as I can see and it shuts down fine now. O, also disabled ACPI in the BIOS. Using 81.98 drivers.

Many thanks for your input Analada. Previously to posting I had disabled the 4 NVidia items in msconfig but this made no difference whatsoever.

The only driver that will install on this card is the 82.16. However, it is possible to install earlier versions ie 81.98 by hacking the inf file. I did this and installed the 81.98 but frankly it was worse than the 82.16.

I am surprised to hear that the GF6 cards have driver problems with 98SE. I say this because I have a Leadtek 6800 n/u 128Mb which ran on an MSI KT3 Ultra 2 and with my current set up an Asus A8V Deluxe rev 2 without one single problem. I think I was using the FW 62.11. However, since you cured it all fine.

Some further update on the 7800GS. Athough at first the only problem appeared to be shutdown related, other issues are now emerging one of which is continuous IE errors together with WMP problems.

I think that the 82.16 driver is complete c**p. I have read countless threads about this card working perfectly in XP. The 98SE FW is unfortunately totally corrupt to say the least.

I spoke to BFG who confirmed to me that NVidia where not going to fix this driver and BFG had 'nothing further to suggest'.

My conclusion in respect of the 7800GS is as follows if you have XP then as a final upgrade it's fine. If you have 98SE anywhere in the frame give this card a wide berth, unless you know any different.

Not sure how to move forwards from here, maybe I will get rid of this card and go for a 6800Ultra and o/c it.....

Cheers

Good luck finding a 6800 Ultra today ! :angel:

Hmmm. So you have IE and WMP problems... With the new driver or the old one? And most important question: have you tried any game (main reason I'd like getting myself one of these babies) ?

About the shutdown problem, disabling everything Nvidia never solved it for me neither. Anyway thanks Analada!

Well, hope you get things working one way or another.

I got an E1705 laptop from Dell with a 7900GS... core duo @2.0 w/ 2G ram

any ideas if *this* could do 98???? It is PCI-E, that's about all I know right now...

it runs Oblivion at 1440x900x32 with full AA and that last option turned on (in the loader proggy for Oblivion, halos or something like that), at 60+FPS easily...

If I could run 98 with this rig, that would be freaking awesome....

I got an E1705 laptop from Dell with a 7900GS... core duo @2.0 w/ 2G ram

any ideas if *this* could do 98???? It is PCI-E, that's about all I know right now...

You could try to modify the .inf from 82.16 but you'd still have a problem: i945 chipsets have no Win98 drivers. You could try Win2k intel drivers but everything would be highly experimental. If you have time, try a double boot and see. You never know. In fact, if it worked it'd be great news not only for you.

• 13 years later...

13 years on, my 7800gs works perfect in win98 but only with certain games, as this card was never designed for dos. 

There is a shutdown fix for this card but to be perfectly honest i would use the 7800gs for xp and get something like an 8mb SiS 6326 pci card for dos/win98