WinLogon: Gina.dll

kRUSty

Hello, Forum.

I've an (advanced) problem with loading of Gina.dll

If I've installed some software, that use own Gina.dll, an sequenz of loading will be created. The software installed as last will be loaded as first. I can change this sequence by modifying registry.

For example: If I've installed 2 software with own Gina.dll, WinLogon will be load the first Gina.dll, this Gina.dll will be load the next, which loads the msgina.dll (Microsoft GINA).

WinLogon->Gina1.dll->Gina2.dll->MSGina.dll

That works pretty.

But If I use the repair function of the software, that own the Gina2.dll (Settings->system control->software...) the sequence will be changed again -> that causes an failure??? Because the software repair function will entry it self into loading sequence of Gina.dll as first:

WinLogon->Gina2.dll->Gina1.dll->Gina2.dll ... this is an endless loop.

How can I handle that without changing manually the sequence in registry?

Thanks for help.

Greetings

You actually don't, really - if the software's repair function causes winlogon to re-initialize it's registry settings, winlogon does have a function, I believe, that checks to make sure that the msgina.dll will load first (as a default install would have). Software that replaces or loads a custom gina.dll will require you to "fix" the registry to make it work after a repair if the repair touches winlogon at all, and there's no way around it.

By the way, software that uses a custom gina will no longer work on Vista, just an FYI.

Thank you for fast answer.

This is very ugly. The only possible way to get the system online (because after this failure you cannot login into system - even not as administrator) is to write an script, that correct the registry entries and apply it before gina will be loaded.

Yes..... with Vista you need some workarounds to hold your worarounds functional ;)

No, serios - I knew that. But thanks for this hint.

If someone know better workaround or some other information - please write it. I'll check full of hope the forum. :}

Greetings.

Edited by kRUSty