Windows xp home quetion

allfive6

I just got a laptop and desktop from a garage sale both work ok but they have cracked copy's of xp pro on them but both have the windows XP certificate of authenticity on them with the cd key. So i downloaded a copy of Windows xp home off the net and tried to install it with legal CD key but it will not take it. Tells me wrong key. Any idea's why? Is the key matched to a CD ?

I just got a laptop and desktop from a garage sale both work ok but they have cracked copy's of xp pro on them but both have the windows XP certificate of authenticity on them with the cd key. So i downloaded a copy of Windows xp home off the net and tried to install it with legal CD key but it will not take it. Tells me wrong key. Any idea's why? Is the key matched to a CD ?

It's possible that the CD keys on the cases only work for an OEM version of XP Home, kind of like a Dell copy. (Are they Dells?) May I remind you that this is BORDERLINE illegal as you have downloaded something that you do not own. If you contact the manufacturer(s) of the computers, I'm pretty sure they might end up sending you a replacement OEM copy.