Start Menu question

skizo

any admin here

skizo really sound want a fight

all members try to help

while I do not have an answer to his question but i do not like his way or his attitude,

i could be wrong but this is what i see

His request is a new one on me. When I saw his picture of the Start Menu and the word "Recent", I just assumed. I also couldn't imagine how the topic dragged on with his bad attitude when what I thought it was is a mere registry tweak. Anyway, good luck with your solution.

Almost everyone here needs to read this post and the forum rules. Let's try to keep everything civil here, there's no reason to get upset. We now know what the original poster wants to accomplish, and anyone that can help please do.

This is related to the same folder, only now it still appears, but your recent documents will no longer appear inside of it.

As I've said multiple times, I'm asking about the 'Recent Programs' listing, not the 'Recent Documents' listing.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Remove Frequent Programs List from the Start Menu
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList"=dword:00000001

ok..I guess that's what you're really looking for..hopefully.. :whistle:

Edited by BLeU

This is related to the same folder, only now it still appears, but your recent documents will no longer appear inside of it.

As I've said multiple times, I'm asking about the 'Recent Programs' listing, not the 'Recent Documents' listing.

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

; Remove Frequent Programs List from the Start Menu
[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\Explorer]
"NoStartMenuMFUprogramsList"=dword:00000001

ok..I guess that's what you're really looking for..hopefully.. :whistle:

Nope...thanks though....that one doesn't do it either. I actually noticed no difference with at all. I had to double-check that I'd done it correctly.

I think he's asking about way to completely remove the left side/half of the start menu - part where frequently launched programs and pinned programs will appear, and shrink his start menu just like he shows in the shot..

It's not possible to do that just by modifying registry..how your start menu looks is controlled by visual style you are using..

If I understand your question correctly, what you want is not to remove the recent programs list, but the most frequent used programs list. I know because I use it too. The way to solve it is by either using the method BLeU described (aka the automatic way) or by going to

"Right-click on taskbar ---> properties ---> start menu ---> customize ---> general ->

press "clear list" and shrink down the "number of programs on start menu" to zero. That should take care of it.

As far as your topic goes, it's easy to get confused because you use the wrong terms. "Recent Programs" is not what you want to remove. In fact, there isn't anything called "recent programs", but there is something called "Recent Docs" which is

recent-docs-link.jpg

and I assume that's not what you're talking about. It's called MFU (or Most Frequent Used) programs.

strtmenusn7.gif

Cheers,

Marthax

Edited by Marthax

If I understand your question correctly, what you want is not to remove the recent programs list, but the most frequent used programs list. I know because I use it too. The way to solve it is by either using the method BLeU described (aka the automatic way) or by going to

"Right-click on taskbar ---> properties ---> start menu ---> customize ---> general ->

press "clear list" and shrink down the "number of programs on start menu" to zero. That should take care of it.

That does not "take care of it", that simply leaves the menu blank with no programs listed in it.

As far as your topic goes, it's easy to get confused because you use the wrong terms. "Recent Programs" is not what you want to remove. In fact, there isn't anything called "recent programs", but there is something called "Recent Docs" which is

recent-docs-link.jpg

I don't how it was easy to get confused when I even posted a picture. Whatever, doesn't matter now.

And i know what the recent document folder is, we've already discussed that and I included the exact same picture in my early post (#15).

and I assume that's not what you're talking about. It's called MFU (or Most Frequent Used) programs.

strtmenusn7.gif

Yes, that's it. I would assume that Bleu's registry fix would work as well since that's the same thing I found on the Microsoft Support site, but alas, it does not.

Cheers,

Marthax

Edited by skizo