[RELEASE] Boooggy's WMP 11 direct integration solution

boooggy

Hey great tool BTW! :thumbup I've been using it for several months as a command line component from my own Integrate.cmd script.

But isn't the list of WMP11 updates on the official web page missing a critical one?

KB936782 Vulnerabilities in Windows Media Player Could Allow Remote Code Execution V1.0 (August 14, 2007): Bulletin published.

EDIT:

Nevermind what I posted above. KB936782 is superseded by KB942264 FIX: You cannot set the height of the License Acquisition dialog box as large as you want to in Windows Media Player 11.

Edited by DarkShadows

@boooggy

Inside the main WMP11 installation executable, is another executable named wmfdist11.exe (Windows Media File Format Distributable). When extracted, wmfdist11.exe contains this file:

File		Version		   Date Modified   MD5
wmasf.dll 11.05.5721.5145 2006-10-18 808058051c6848fa80622903c12ac950

The update linked below deals with the Windows Media File Format.

KB941569 – MS07-068: Vulnerability in Windows Media file format could allow remote code execution

When extracted, this update contains a WMP11 subfolder that contains only this file:

File		Version		   Date Modified   MD5
wmasf.dll 11.05.5721.5238 2007-10-27 7365b5ca9747c84178d42cca72486277

Q: Can (does) WMP11 Slipstreamer handle this type of update, or do such updates still need to be integrated into an XPCD by other means?

Edited by DarkShadows

If i include WMP 11 with Slipstream v0.96 then after the Windows XP instaltion the Windows Media ICON is missing on the Desktop and in Quick Launch (Taskbar).

I dont have this problem if i install WMP 11 after the Windows installation.

Hi Boooggy,

Sorry for the very late reply. :angel

I am using Comodo Firewall v3.0.14.276, I've already had that Defense+Security disabled for awhile now. I have Nod32 (trial version) which I left at default settings. I tried numerous times, and a couple times with Comodo fully disabled. One time I also disabled Nod32, but no change.

I do have another PC that I am going to transfer everything to and hopefully get that done tonight or this weekend for sure. That has same version of Comodo Firewall and Avast Free that's never been registered, so I disabled it since I've been trying to create a slipstreamed disk and then going to format both PC's.

From my notes:

I am going to use BOOOGGY'S WMP11 SLIPSTREAMER for 1st time. Dell 2.4

Try 1: 12-28 0922pm T31 does NOT have .NET v1.1 or v3.5 from RougeSpear.

Used Tweaked (w-Registry Tweaks and NO WGA)

Well it gave me an ERROR, but it said it reverted back and didn't change the source files. So can then reuse

xp_Pro-from T31_For driverpack Integration_T21_12-29-07 again.

Try 2: 12-28 0940pm Also disabled Comodo Firewall. Error again.

Try 3: 12-28 0945pm Rebooted PC & Error again. Also disabled Comodo Firewall and Nod32.

Try 4: 12-28 1005pm Error again even after Reboot. This time it actually ran for like 20 sec. or so.

Try 5: 12-28 1007pm Error again

Does the problem still happen if you go to Defense+ Behavior Options and put a checkmark in "Disable Defense+ permanently" and reboot ? Does nLite crash as well in the same conditions that WMp11Slip crashes with the "file in use by another process" error ?

Can you post full error messages please ?

Hi _ n7Epsilon,

Well I tried it again on my 2nd PC and errors again. No I didn't have any errors with nLite (well, after I uninstalled .NET 1.1-2.0 and then reinstalled, but that was before I even attempted this). Above is for anyone if they are running into problem with nLite.

---------

Now to your post:

Does the problem still happen if you go to Defense+ Behavior Options and put a checkmark in "Disable Defense+ permanently" and reboot ?

---------

I did this on both computers and rebooted, and it __Fixed__ the problem!! Thank You.

Out of curiosity does anyone know if the Comodo Defense+ is more intrusive than like AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5 or Lavasoft and similar? I found the idea of the Defense+ nice, but it's pretty annoying. But now that I think about it maybe the nLite problem I referred to earlier did have something to do with Comodo Defense+. Maybe I wouldn't have had to uninstall and reinstall again, could it have possibly locked on to something in the .NET framework and caused problems, who knows.

Defense+ is a good idea and they're certainly on the right track to getting it right, but it looks like it is still buggy (interferes with accessing cryptographically signed files, I think it is a bug in their Trusted Providers facility or perhaps in Defense+ somehow having a call to access a file in exclusive mode by mistake or without any sharing rights set)...

Anyway I am working on making the way I extract more friendly to such annoying protection measures so this will improve in future versions...

Edited by n7Epsilon