Server 2003 Enterprise x86 Sp2 as Workstation

I did most of the conversion tip in the "Convert Server To Workstation" artical and so far so good except for a few bugs to work out. For starters, after adding system restore, a "yellow" error messege comes up during start up, saying "a service or driver failed to start, check event viewer" Any ideas of what needs to be changed or set to correct this?

I Want to add "fast user switching" to log off menue. Where is it or do I add it from a CD. How do I disable the "computer has bean locked" prompt after system resumes from locked screansaver?

What other Services can be disable, stopped or remover to make faster as high end media workstation networked to other media workstations? What steps to take in setting up share folder rules for particular LAN users on network and WAN shareing.

Pleas read and get back to this post with feedback on your set up configurations.

ermmmm..... here goes:

first off i'd kindly ask Martin L to change the username (not quite appropriate for a tech forum :whistle: )

second off regarding your error message: check the event viewer to see what happens (start ---> all programs ---> administrative tools ---> event viewer)

third off regarding the fast user changing: you can't do it in w2k3 r2. As for the password prompt: right click on desktop ---> properties ---> screensaver ---> remove the tick in the box reading "prompt for password when computer resumes from standby" (or alike)

fourth off: i'm really buffled why people don't understand that server OS's are meant for servers, not "high end media workstation" :blink:

fifth off: you need to tell us the configuration of your network, how many pc's are linked, whether you have AD implemented or not, and what you expect from your LAN.

regards,

nitro

Edited by nitroshift

i'm really buffled why people don't understand that server OS's are meant for servers, not "high end media workstation

I don't understand why people like you are baffled - i've heard this comment so many times from supposedly computer-savvy people, i'm beginner to wonder if the notion of windows 2003 being faster than windows xp (as a workstation os), is true! ;)