Some nOOb help with hosting website on own server

Can somepone please point me in the right direction...

I am just experimenting with a linux based server, primarily for NAS, and came accross clarkconnect (www.clarkconnect.com), which offered exactly what I was looking for, and seemed to make things a bit easier for a first timer....

However, I thought I was on the right track, setup my server, updated DNS so it pointed to the static IP that my ISP gives me, but whenever I try to get to it, it presents me with my router admin logon.. which makes sense I suppose, as it is that device which effectively has the IP...

I have enabled port forwarding in the hope this would resolve the issue, but it still happens... everytime I try to go to my domain, I get my router admin login... at least I suppose it proves DNS is working ok!!!!

Im sure its eomenting very basic, and I will porbably kick myself... but can someone offer any advice, or point me in the right direction???

I cant quite figure out how to redirect the traffic through to the web server directory, to the index.html.... its driving me nuts!!! I have also checked that the web server service is running....!!

I just need a starting point!!

EDIT: Fixed the problem thanks to another forum.. in case anyone was interested:

Quote -

Well I think that it could be that you are trying to access your domain(which points to your router) from within your LAN. The router can't forward internal ports to another internal host, that's not how NAT works. If you tried to access the domain from the internet (or just from a PC connected to the WAN port), I'm sure that it would work.

Edited by drscouse

well you need make sure you have a static ip address and that you are port forwarding port 80 to ur comps local ip address.

and you also cant view ur ip address from the machine its on, you need to use another computer, otherwise it will go to the login page.

edit: just was that you find a solution, what exactly was it?

Edited by ripken204

• 5 months later...

I've had this happen to me when I tried to access the server locally, but it works perfect remotely.

I still don't know why, when local i point to the IP address & when remote, I use the Domain Name.

EDIT: Note to self, read ALL of the first post and then look at dates to be sure you aren't reviving a dead thread.

Edited by tjhart85