questions on Bart PE

leoliver

Hi Everybody,

I read this quote from a post concerning Bart PE ..... "Bart PE is for rescueing PC system who's hard disk is not damaged or corrupted beyond repair, and rescuing any data on the hard disk."

Which brings to mind a couple of general questions about Bart PE I would like to ask before investing a lot of time "studying up" on Bart PE .

How could Bart PE be used for... " rescuing any data on the hard disk." ?

From some of my readings about Bart PE, I got the impression that one Bart PE advantage is it "speeds up" Windows install process for multiple computers on a network. So is Bart PE "geared" torwards use on a computer network , or does Bart PE have advantages for a single computer use ?

A friend of mine, who is a lot more computer "knowledgeable" than I , says he already is familar with Windows Install and disc repair methods , "wants to know what Bart PE could do, or do better than , other install, disc repair or data recovey techniques" ?

Your feedback on these questions will be appreciated !!!

Hi leoliver,

I was able to recue a non-booting laptop with Bart PE's rescue disk. By 'rescue' I mean I was able to re-boot the laptop, get into a WinXP style enviroment and run the Windows disk checking/repair utility. This restored the laptop to its normal bootable condition. Though the checkdisk utility did keep repairing errors on every run, the laptop (as far as I know) is still functioning.

As far as I can remember when you boot a PC with Bart PE you are in a user friendly WinXP enviroment, where you can run WinXP and other disk utilities and browse through files and folders, as if you where in a true O/S enviroment.

Hope this helps,

Waywyrd. :unsure:

Hi leoliver,

I was able to recue a non-booting laptop with Bart PE's rescue disk. By 'rescue' I mean I was able to re-boot the laptop, get into a WinXP style enviroment and run the Windows disk checking/repair utility. This restored the laptop to its normal bootable condition. Though the checkdisk utility did keep repairing errors on every run, the laptop (as far as I know) is still functioning.

As far as I can remember when you boot a PC with Bart PE you are in a user friendly WinXP enviroment, where you can run WinXP and other disk utilities and browse through files and folders, as if you where in a true O/S enviroment.

Hope this helps,

Waywyrd. :unsure:

To sum up what Waywyrd has said: It's like a very limited but functional Windows XP which runs off a CD (so you can access your computer to say, backup files you need before a format or run chkdsk on a broken HDD)

It's similar to the "Live" CDs you get with some Linux distro's to "try" them out but obviously BartPE creates a "mini-xp" so you can access your computer if corrupted, broken etc :thumbup