Hello everyone,

I recently built a computer;

Abit AB9 iP965

C2D E6400

Coolermaster Real Power 550W SLI

2GB DDR2 5300/5400 RAM

Gefore 7600GT 256MB DDR3 PCI-E

Pioneer drive.

And the area I think my problem is - 2 x Seagate 80GB Barracuda SATAII 7200rpm 8MB Cache

So I installed everything the BIOS is fine, and the optical is reading everything, the windows setup appears and goes through the loading procedure (kernal debugger.... etc, etc) then after that it says windows is preparing to setup and I get the BSOD.

It says the normal things BSOD's say, but ill write out what steps it told me too follow and the technical infomation.

Check for viruses on your computer. Remove any newly installed hard drives or hard drive controllers. Check your hard drive to make sure it is properly configured and terminated. Run CHKDSK /F to check for hard drive corruption, and then restart your computer.

I know theres no viruses as this is my first ever boot, so it must the hardware config I guess.

I've connected the 2 SATAII drives to my power supply, and connected the SATAII cables from my 2 drives into SATA1 and SATA2 headers on the motherboard.

I read that SATAII doesn't need any master/slave configuration, so there none of that, they have just been pluged into the motherboard, no RAID no nothing. Is there somthing else I should do? There is an option before the windows loader starts to installed a 3rd party RAID controller or somthing of the sort.

The technicle infomation on the BSOD is;

***STOP: 0x0000007B (0xF78D2524,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

I tryed to explain as thourghly as I could.

Thanks in advance for any help you might be able to offer.

-hck7017.

• 1 year later...

I'm getting same error codes, but I've tried installing my Sata controller...

Mind you, I've got a ICH9 Southbridge, so I'm not able to really, well, use ANYTHING as a true driver, as there doesn't seem to be anything ANYWHERE for that (which is odd, right?)

So I'm kinda stuck... I've tried installing the drivers for the ICH9R thing (which is a raid-compatible motherboard, if I'm correct, which mine is NOT)...

And I've tried modifying the driver as outlined in the sticky at the XP forum's top... but as this is a virgin boot as well (no OS installed ever, and all hard drives are new/clean) there's no windows to run registry in, or to do anything like that...

So I'm totally frustrated and stuck. Any ideas? (for the record, I do have another post with much more detail in that sticky thread, but as this is the exact error, I figured I'd post here too... But I've found nothing that solves this particular problem for me...)

EDIT: I've installed the drivers (various types, various configs) through both f6/floppy and through slipstreaming via nLite... just for the record there...

Edited by Dorkmaster

The motherboard should need no drivers if the SATA controller is set to IDE compatibility mode in BIOS. I think this setting only makes difference for the ICH9 ports, not the ones next to the legacy Parallel ATA connector (JMicron).

thank you very much j7n, however, there are NO legacy PATA connectors... I used the JMicro controller drivers as kind of a hail-mary kinda thing...

And if I'm entirely wrong (which is possible) and there ARE JMicron ones, then how would I identify those vs. the ICH9 ones? Because to my understanding the only ones (per the manufacturer) on the board are the ICH9 ones, as it natively would support 6 SATA inputs, but this board (while it has the space for it) only uses 4. (It's a budget board)

EDIT: and for the record, in BIOS, I've set up the SATA drives as both ENHANCED and as COMPATIBLE with no different results for either. So, even if I make it Compatible, it's not changing anything. I've even tried plugging the drive into the SATA 5 slot (as technically sata 1&2, 5&6 are available only... there is no 3&4 although the board is ready to accept it should it be sottered in :)

Edited by Dorkmaster

I found this motherboard picture on the web (Abit AB9):

http://www.overclock3d.net/gfx/articles/20...8195652256l.jpg

If there are only four SATA ports then this must be a different model. I have not heard of a board w/o any ICHx ports, so they must be all ICH9. JMicron is used to provide PATA interface on modern Intel southbridges. It's 2 SATA ports are located in another group, or are different color.

Is SATA in "IDE compatibility" mode?

Edit: Then I got nothing to add, sorry. I did not notice you were not the original poster. Of course you have a different motherboard.

Edited by j7n