Hal Issues

I am running into a mild issue with my base image. It basically deals with the fact I cannot get rid of the ACPI standard hal.

My test/build machine is an R40 (P4 2.4ghz with 512megs of ram). The bios is up a revision from June '06. My new deploy machines will be core duo or core 2 duo machines that will be slowly switched out as leases expire. I still need to support my older (Pentium 4 or Pentium M) systems with my image, so I assumed I would try to do the ACPI Uniprocessor HAL during the base image install and have it update if multiprocessor is there via the sysprep.ini.

Anyway, I have tried multiple times during the CD install and once either ACPI Uniprocessor or ACPI Multiprocessor is selected as the HAL i want to use, it seems to load the initial drivers and hang before the EULA (this is in the text based section of XP install). If i go back and select the generic ACPI HAL it proceeds fine. I am using an XP SP2 VLK CD.

Now on my core duo machines, the ACPI HAL is functioning just fine, but I am sure it is not the most optimal build for it.

Any ideas?

Are any of the machines you are going to deploy your image to ACPI Standard HALs to start with when installing XP normally?

I believe all of the systems you described are either ACPI UNI or MULTI processors HALs. If this is the case build your image on a Multiprocessor HAL system, so one of the dual cores, then add the line to sysprep to downgrade it to a uniprocessor HAL if it is needed when deployed.

• 5 weeks later...