Windows Vista Expert Edition

j7n

Recent M$ operating systems – XP and Vista – have a mind on their own. The more recent the version, the "smarter" OS has become. It tries to protect you from viruses, hackers, malware but in the end (at least in my case) it protects you from your own computer by setting various restrictions on what you are allowed to do. You need to search the Internet for various tweaks in order to reclaim control.

There are at least 6 different "editions" of Vista. Why coldn't Micro$oft create an Expert Edition which had the really unprofessional eye-candy, reminders about security, disk space, digitial signatures, etc removed?

Thank god there is nLite.. But could the company really blame a pirate who's distributing this striped down version if there is no legal alternative to obtain one?

"But could the company really blame a pirate who's distributing this striped down version if there is no legal alternative to obtain one?"

Yeah, they would blame a pirate, maybe even catch him/her and send said pirate to jail, or stiff fines, or a court order to prohibit the use of any computer (even those at work) for a period of time, but possibly a combination of any of the above and thats just the criminal penalties...the civil suit penalties would probably take your property and garnish your wages for a while. (Maybe not to jail but if they got caught which seems remote these days).

"eye-candy, reminders about security, disk space, digitial signatures"

Satisfying your wish is simple; either in the interface or the registry (yes you can do it so don't say you can't) - enable the classic windows interface, disable defender and UAC, turn off DEP, disable digital signatures, enable autolog on, turn off drive space warnings, change the account permissions so your account has full control over all the drives, and you have what you wanted.... over 95% of eye candy gone, no more security restrictions, no more warnings, and no more protection from your own computer.

Yes, all these can be disabled. And...you can have all this today with just a few minutes work if it makes you happy, enjoy.

Recent M$ operating systems – XP and Vista – have a mind on their own. The more recent the version, the "smarter" OS has become. It tries to protect you from viruses, hackers, malware but in the end (at least in my case) it protects you from your own computer by setting various restrictions on what you are allowed to do. You need to search the Internet for various tweaks in order to reclaim control.

There are at least 6 different "editions" of Vista. Why coldn't Micro$oft create an Expert Edition which had the really unprofessional eye-candy, reminders about security, disk space, digitial signatures, etc removed?

Thank god there is nLite.. But could the company really blame a pirate who's distributing this striped down version if there is no legal alternative to obtain one?

Edited by Spooky

The question was not about how to accomplish removal of useless components (Nuhi is already working hard on it), but why these features exist in the system in the first place. Does Microsoft see every legal user as a beginner who needs to be directed to the Search button by an animated dog?

Windows 2000 is a good clean operating system, but the time will come when it can no longer be run on current h/w (as it has more or less happened with Win98).

Does Microsoft see every legal user as a beginner who needs to be directed to the Search button by an animated dog?

For the most part yes, Since 80% of the their users barely know how to turn on the computer, let alone manage firewall or AV settings and configurations. Think about companies, 90% of the users there just want to get their work done, they don't care about aV updates or configuring there machine or defragging their HDs. they want to come to work and do their job. Same goes for home users, they want to accomplish a goal or task with their PC. not worry about if it is being invaded by spyware or viruses. the PC enthusist is a small portion of the market,

Go ahead and produce your own operating system from scratch, leave out or put in what you want personally, then try to market your OS and get rich. I think you will soon find, maybe except a small niche of similar thinkers, not many will buy your OS and you probably will not get rich. And why would this be? Its simple, your OS did not appeal to the widest consumer base it possibly could, it was too narrowly focused and not enough of the features that the majority want or need, and in not doing so ignored one of the basic principal concepts of marketing and consumer supply and demand "Find out what they want and give it to them. If they don't think they need it then let them decide if its what they want. You can't be everything to everyone all the time and you can't give everyone what they want."

P.S. you'd be suprised at how many really liked that little dog. It irritated the crap out of me but my wife loved it.

Edited by Spooky

i think what you want is linux...try xandros or something, also lots of distros that are 100% eycandy free and small, they can do everything you can do in windows

plenty of alternatives so there should be no excuse for complaints against windows but most people in general want thier OS to have everything out of box, you can dumb vista down to look like a win95 if you want, once nlite for it comes out then you can have it all automated so i dont see the big deal

I completely disagree with your statements. Adding an additional Vista SKU is a monumentally bad idea.

Obviously, Windows is not for you. Have you tried Linux? Windows 2000?

Thank you for the explanations, Spooky and Fizban2. It makes sense.

you'd be suprised at how many really liked that little dog. It irritated the crap out of me but my wife loved it.

I liked the agent characters in Office 2000 (and 97) ... until I had viewed all available animations and discovered how limited their intelligence was.

i call this piece Mcvista XP

http://img359.imageshack.us/my.php?image=desktop1yo1.jpg

http://img441.imageshack.us/my.php?image=desktophl5.jpg

That's exactly why I use Ubuntu and my highly nLited XP install with the wonderful Windows Classic theme, no desktop background, Firefox (on both), Cygwin, and MSYS/MinGW smile.gif

your right, os is a tool or medium for using tools, not a toy, but toys are fun

i have to ask though, what does your computer look like...the old style beige square box?

ms, apple and everyone else has to make things look modern,cool or edgy to make money, i admit cant take my eyes off a glassy stylish case or edgy looking os, eye candy attracts so i'm curious what about it you dont like