Can't get nlite to work properly

mZimm

After going through the normal Windows reformat and install dozens of times I finally got sick of installing all the drivers, hotfixes, etc after every format and then customizing my install as well. So I found nlite in hope that it would allow me to make one disk that has all of this already included in the install to make reformatting much simpler. I started with my Dell Windows XP MCE Service Pack 2 OEM disk, and openned nLite. I integrated the RVM update pack for the hotfixes, and inserted a few drivers as well for my install. I also used the registry tweaks and went through all of the services list to save me time after the install. After going through all of the customization options I wanted to burn it to a disk. Knowing the possibility of an error, I burned it to a black CD-RW on a low speed. I first did a test burn, which worked perfectly, and then did the real burn with verification, which also passed perfectly. However, when I go to use the disk to reformat it goes through the entire format process fine, but when it goes to install windows it gives me a BSOD and says this:

The following line in the .SIF file used my setup is corrupt or missing:

Value 0 on the line in section [WinntDirectories]with key "307."

Setup cannot continue to quit setup press F3

I have tried several different things to get it to work, including taking out my drivers, and different tweaks and stuff, but every time I get the same error.

Can anybody offer some help as to what would be causing this?

After going through the normal Windows reformat and install dozens of times I finally got sick of installing all the drivers, hotfixes, etc after every format and then customizing my install as well. So I found nlite in hope that it would allow me to make one disk that has all of this already included in the install to make reformatting much simpler. I started with my Dell Windows XP MCE Service Pack 2 OEM disk, and openned nLite. I integrated the RVM update pack for the hotfixes, and inserted a few drivers as well for my install. I also used the registry tweaks and went through all of the services list to save me time after the install. After going through all of the customization options I wanted to burn it to a disk. Knowing the possibility of an error, I burned it to a black CD-RW on a low speed. I first did a test burn, which worked perfectly, and then did the real burn with verification, which also passed perfectly. However, when I go to use the disk to reformat it goes through the entire format process fine, but when it goes to install windows it gives me a BSOD and says this:
The following line in the .SIF file used my setup is corrupt or missing:

Value 0 on the line in section [WinntDirectories]with key "307."

Setup cannot continue to quit setup press F3

I have tried several different things to get it to work, including taking out my drivers, and different tweaks and stuff, but every time I get the same error.

Can anybody offer some help as to what would be causing this?

It is MCE, so I assume you have 2 original discs (disc 1 and disc 2)?

Before nlite-ing, you need to copy the contents of disc 2 to the same folder as you copied disc one (so they overlap).

Before nlite-ing, you need to copy the contents of disc 2 to the same folder as you copied disc one (so they overlap).

It is MCE, but all the contents are on one DVD, not on two CDs. I copied the entire DVD into a foler.

It is MCE, but all the contents are on one DVD, not on two CDs. I copied the entire DVD into a foler.

ok, could you post the txtsetup.sif file in the i386 folder of the modified CD? Please attach it, do not paste it. Thanks

Here you go, this is the one from my latest try.

Also, please attach your txtsetup.sif from the original DVD. I found the problem and need to see how the original is done so I can show you how to fix it.

Yeah, here you go. EDIT: it didn't attach, see next post

Thanks for your help.

Edited by mZimm

Also, please attach your txtsetup.sif from the original DVD. I found the problem and need to see how the original is done so I can show you how to fix it.

The original file is 466kb, which is over the max allowed to upload to this site. Any other way I can upload it, or can I email it to you?

The original file is 466kb, which is over the max allowed to upload to this site. Any other way I can upload it, or can I email it to you?

Try compressing it with any zip program.

The modified version is missing the 307 folder line, thus the error.

I'm guessing the Dell put there something which has a keyword which nLite removes with a certain component.

So yes, compress and attach please.

That file also doesn't contain the 307 folder.

And since nlite isn't using numbers below 1976 or so do tell what other tweaking have you done that added these lines:

delpseud.inf = 1,,,,,,,307,0,0

mpixp32.cat = 1,,,,,,,307,0,0

They are your problem. Figure out which tool and report to them.

I have not done any tweaking to the setup folder outside of nlite and the rvm hotfix package. I don't know what could have caused the problem. I will try doing it once again and report back.