New Video Card

BombaTwist

I'm looking to buy a new Video Card for $70-$90 that can run stable when playing games like Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike:Source, etc.

My radeon x300se is pretty much dying since i get alot of fps drops more often.

these are the 2 that im looking at

PNY 7600GS

Leadtek 7300gt

Price ranges are very close, but not sure which of the both are better. i need help deciding. thanks.

I also want to know if my power supply can handle a card like those listed above

My Power Supply

Edited by BombaTwist

The 7300GT isn’t crap at all, if armed with GDDR3 it will outrun a 7600GS (but there are just a few with GDDR3). Cool thing about both cards is that the can be passively cooled and are sold original that way too.

My choice would be the 7600GS... fan less if you can ;).

EDIT: And I saw that the 7900GS dropped in price too, almost the same price as the 7600GT, keep it in mind ;).

Edited by puntoMX

so basically everyone is not picking one of the two and deciding for something else hehe.

So i'll just put it this way, im looking for a card that is around $70-$110

thinkin about getting the 7600gt evga ripken posted. trying to spend less since im on a budget. hehe.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814143070

Check that BFG Tech BFGR79256GSOCE GeForce 7900GS 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card out too ;).

EDIT:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?...N82E16814102021

If you like ATI then this SAPPHIRE 100155L Radeon X1800GTO 256MB 256-bit GDDR3 VIVO PCI Express x16 VIVO Video Card could be something.

I know I´m talking about 143-159 US$ cards, but they will make up the price with there 256bit RAM and more shaders and comes close to the price of the 7600GT.

Edited by puntoMX

How long before we see "consumer" or "affordable" models of DX10 cards? I am talking less than $200. Performance-wise I'd be happy with the 7900GS.

But we really won't need a dx10 card if you are just a casual gamer, right? even vista works witha dx9 card well.

I'm planning on getting a 7600GT or x1650xt myself.

How long before we see "consumer" or "affordable" models of DX10 cards? I am talking less than $200. Performance-wise I'd be happy with the 7900GS.

But we really won't need a dx10 card if you are just a casual gamer, right? even vista works witha dx9 card well.

I'm planning on getting a 7600GT or x1650xt myself.

I am just saying I would like a card with "modest" performance like a 7900GS/x1650 Pro and would pay a small premium if it supported DirectX 10. Also although the 7600GT would meet my needs for now, I will go for a more powerful card because my motherboard doesnt support sli/crossfire.

i would be happy if i could find out how to install an agp slot, it has in tiny righting on my mother board " agp slot ****" but it's empty lol
You don't install a slot. Your mobo either has the AGP slot or it doesn't. If it doesn't, you take an AGP card and insert it into the slot. Very simple.

I am just saying I would like a card with "modest" performance like a 7900GS/x1650 Pro and would pay a small premium if it supported DirectX 10. Also although the 7600GT would meet my needs for now, I will go for a more powerful card because my motherboard doesnt support sli/crossfire.

EEuhmm, comparing a 7900GS to a x1650pro? What the... the x1650pro performs even weaker then the 7600GT :blink:.

Any way, I would borrow 50 buck from some one to get something you can use for 2 years or so (7900), not a card that will be outdated in les then 1 year (7600)... up to you BombaTwist ;).

EEuhmm, comparing a 7900GS to a x1650pro? What the... the x1650pro performs even weaker then the 7600GT :blink:.

Any way, I would borrow 50 buck from some one to get something you can use for 2 years or so (7900), not a card that will be outdated in les then 1 year (7600)... up to you BombaTwist ;).

whoops I meant x1950Pro sorry :whistle:

Seeing discussions like this make me realize one thing: how I truly hate and despise shopping for video cards!

There's WAY too many series, models and model #s, different types of RAM, different clocks on everything and all. It's one big confusing mess!

It sounds like higher numbers mean higher performance, but not always (like the 7300GT being faster than a 7600GS with the right type of memory, as PuntoMX said before). And even in the same series (like 7600's or 7300's), there's GS, GT, and others, and all these with various clock speeds and manufacturers, making it almost impossible to compare 2 cards directly... (Disregarding all the discussions about pipelines/shaders and whatever else) It's complicated and misleading.

And I can't ever seem to find some kind of comparison point for any card I'm considering buying. Anything better than THG's charts out there? (besides google'ing for countless separate reviews) Seemingly any card I pick isn't on the list, or is clocked differently in one way or another.

There's just too many 7300 and 7600 models for sale (7900's are over 200$ CDN - too much IMO), I can't seemingly find some way to compare 'em all, and the prices vary a lot from one to another.

Shopping for PC parts is easy and straightforward, except for f%#@^%$*ing video cards (unless you're a gamer, read video card reviews everyday and memorize 'em all seemingly).

The only thing that's seemingly making it somewhat easier is ATI not having very good offerings anymore. I was always partial to ATI cards (never had any problems with 'em, unlike nvidia's), but their prices seem higher and performance slower nowadays, like the 1650 costing more than a 7600 and being slower). It's just too d**n complicated to pick a budget card for a total non-gamer (primarily for Vista, WPF and HDTV)