Network Question

Nerwin

Ok, I know I specialize in computer networking, I even ask my instructor and he didn't even know..

But...

I have one computer (dell) that has a second Hard Drive and I am using it for Network Storage (its Shared), and The permissions is selected to "Everyone" and that is the only user on the list and when I go on my computer and then I go to "My Network Places" and select the Shared folder, it asks me for a user name and password, But I don't want there to be a user name and password cause I don't want to enter a user name and password every time I restart my computer or other computers on my network.

Can anyone Help?

EDIT >>> This is Just a simple network in my home theres just 3 computers on it soon to be 4.. and there is no server.. Just my dell sharing that HDD.

Edited by computerMan

No It can't because its just a Simple network in my house. its just a Modem - Wireless Router - Dell - 5 port Switch - My computer - and Network Printer and then my dads laptop. thats all..

As nitroshift suggested I would map it. If you map them a drive which reconnects a each logon and specify their user names as having full control on the share you shouldn't have a problem.

I done that it just asks for a password and a username, But I dont want a user name and password on it, I did have it mapped, but it would always say "disconnected"

First off Everyone (actually a group name) is not really anybody. Everyone is a group of users who have access to that specific workstation. This could consist of the guest account, admin, etc...

Allowing anon access to a resource is a bad idea but it can be done using a share versus NTFS permissions. You will also need to tweak your security policy a bit. Keep in mind you are opening this computer to the world when you do this!

Whenever your trying to map a share it should look like this: \\computername\sharename. In simple terms if the computer name was homeputer and the share name was share we would map it like this \\homeputer\share

For your general information this is a called a UNC path or Universal Naming Convention path, whichever you prefer.

If you really want to allow anyone access to those files you can follow these instructions: http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServe...3.mspx?mfr=true

I STRONGLY ADVISE AGAINST DOING THIS IF THIS MACHINE IS CONNECTED OR WILL EVER TOUCH THE INTERNET. Perform these steps at your own risk!

I hope this helps!

Edited by Wildcat

The reason it asks you for a password is because you are not on a domain, therefore your access token (given to you by the Dell when you attempt to access a shared resource) needs to be granted based on authentication - this is the default, unless you follow the link in the post above. Since you don't have a domain (and thus your access token and permissions are not stored in an AD), the Dell cannot look up who you are in the directory, and thus will prompt you for a username and password when you first connect - if you provide a username and password that it likes, it'll grant you access and give you a temporary access token to that resource (and any other that token has been given access to on the Dell).

If you reboot your machine, or log off, or reboot the Dell, your token becomes invalid (because your session is gone) and you will be prompted again the next time you attempt to connect to a share on the Dell - you'll need a new token due to the new session. Remember, just because "Everyone" has rights to the share doesn't mean the Dell knows you belong to that group - by default, you authenticate as "Anonymous", who DOESN'T exist in the "Everyone" group. Therefore, until you authenticate with an actual username and password, you're "Anonymous" as far as the Dell is concerned, and you don't actually have access to that share. Once you give it a username and password it likes, it can then tell that you are in the "Everyone" group, and can have access. Make sense?

The only way around it is to either install a domain, or follow the link above. I strongly suggest you do not, but it's your network, and you know best how it is used and how secure it is. Unless you install a Windows Server machine and setup AD, or relax permissions as per the above link, you'll get prompted every time you need a new token.

The reason it asks you for a password is because you are not on a domain, therefore your access token (given to you by the Dell when you attempt to access a shared resource) needs to be granted based on authentication - this is the default, unless you follow the link in the post above. Since you don't have a domain (and thus your access token and permissions are not stored in an AD), the Dell cannot look up who you are in the directory, and thus will prompt you for a username and password when you first connect - if you provide a username and password that it likes, it'll grant you access and give you a temporary access token to that resource (and any other that token has been given access to on the Dell).

If you reboot your machine, or log off, or reboot the Dell, your token becomes invalid (because your session is gone) and you will be prompted again the next time you attempt to connect to a share on the Dell - you'll need a new token due to the new session. Remember, just because "Everyone" has rights to the share doesn't mean the Dell knows you belong to that group - by default, you authenticate as "Anonymous", who DOESN'T exist in the "Everyone" group. Therefore, until you authenticate with an actual username and password, you're "Anonymous" as far as the Dell is concerned, and you don't actually have access to that share. Once you give it a username and password it likes, it can then tell that you are in the "Everyone" group, and can have access. Make sense?

The only way around it is to either install a domain, or follow the link above. I strongly suggest you do not, but it's your network, and you know best how it is used and how secure it is. Unless you install a Windows Server machine and setup AD, or relax permissions as per the above link, you'll get prompted every time you need a new token.

Well Before I never had to enter a username or a password, My friend does the same thing and almost the exact setup and he never has to enter a user name or password

try switching to simple file sharing... it sounds like you have the advanced setup on. I've had similar problems on my network since I'm not running AD, and once I switched to simple file sharing, everything worked.

try switching to simple file sharing... it sounds like you have the advanced setup on. I've had similar problems on my network since I'm not running AD, and once I switched to simple file sharing, everything worked.

Thank You! I will try that

This problem occurs when the Guest account on the computer trying to access the share is disabled.

Enable the Guest account and then read this bit here:

http://nitecruzr.blogspot.com/2005/06/file...ws-xp.html#Help

With XP Pro, there are a pair of Local Security Policy lists, under User Rights Assignment.

1. "Deny access to this computer from the network".

2. "Access this computer from the network".

* If your server uses Guest authentication:

o "Guest" must NOT be in list #1.

o "Everyone" must be in list #2.

* If your server uses non-Guest authentication:

o Your properly setup, and activated, non-Guest account must NOT be in list #1.

o Your non-Guest account, or a group of which it is a member (generally "Everyone") must be in list #2.