Install apps and keep OOBE

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum. What I would like to do is be able to set it up so that I keep at least the way users connect to the internet and user names in the oobe so that when they first turn on their computer it asks for that info and then goes into the first run install routine. Can someone help me figure out how to do that?

http://unattended.msfn.org has a lot of those answers. As far as setting up users, you could do that via a batch file called from cmdlines.txt using net.exe:

net user account password /add - adds the user

net localgroup Administrators account /add - adds the user account to the administrators group

net accounts /maxpwage:unlimited - makes it so their password never expires

This is just a sample of what you can do. Perhaps nLite (http://www.nliteos.com) without removing any components could also help to make this easy for you.

I don't want to set up the users automatically, I want the oobe to run so they can do that themselves. Want I want is similar to Dell's setup where you basically go through the oobe but extra programs are already installed. I know I can use nLite and the gui run once to get that stuff set up, my problem is knowing how to keep the oobe, or just certian parts of it.

I'll try to be more clear. I am building computers for other people. I would like to:

1. Install drivers via the $OEM$ folder (I think I can get that going with help from previous posts)

2. Use GUI Run Once to install misc. apps i.e. pdf reader, reg tweaks, etc. (Also something I think I can do on my own)

3. Install windows to the point of restarting for the last time and then let the user input how they connect to the internet, user names, and activation for xp home installs

I guess I need to know what to put into the winnt.sif to let the oobe run with those or more elements and then after the user inputs them to run the gui runonce.

It would also be nice to create my own 'oem' cd that is bootable and asks if the user wants to restore to the original configuration, similar to a ghost image or any of the major oem's that have a restore cd.

fly2279: it sounds like you are a system builder? try registering at http://oem.microsoft.com, from there you can download the windows xp preinstall kit. this will help you with what you are trying to do. what you are looking for is actually a preinstallation of the OS, and then run sysprep to bring the machine back to windows welcome.

If for some reason you can't sign up with m$, then there is still hope. Follow the directions on this site to create an unattended install of windows that install your drivers and programs, and search microsofts site for sysprep. download sysprep and use it to reseal the machine.

Hope this helps..

The answer to your question is to run sysprep after the installation. All programs in cmdlines.txt will be installed. Programs in RunOnceEx.cmd will be installed at first logon.

OOBE = Out Of Box Experience

That is SysPrep.

The OEM Preinstall is not going to do it for you.

Does this entry in Winnt.sif can not help what you want to do?

[Unattended]
AutoActivate = Yes | No

?

that wouldn't work necessarily because then he'd need a different CD for each customer (as each XP key will be different). The idea behind a universal disk is that it's universal. He can just revise the programs and any little bugs that might pop up, then distribute it to all his customers.