some burned DVD's readable in win98, but not XP?

PsycoUnc

-Hey, anyone encounter this before? Some (not all) burned SL DVD's (just data backups, not bootable/etc), burned in XP, and verified by the burning program as perfect, are not accessible at all in winXP, altho are perfectly accessible in win98se...

??? :wacko:

-error: "Windows cannot read from this disk. ...might be corrupted, or incompatible format..."

?

-no fancy burn/format settings, std. cdfs iso/joliet, DVD+R, burned at slow stable 4x (w/16x media, 16x NEC ND3550A burner (been using for 6 months, no probs), latest 1.06 firmware), and win98se has no trouble reading them (altho some w98se apps also can't read em)...

(using CDburnerXPpro 3.0.116, tho none of this info is really important, as my only question is: why can old, scorned w98se read what "supposedly" superior XP can't? -especially when they were CREATED in xp, and even verified, file by file, by the burning software after the burn? Seems like xp just can't "mount" it, afterwards... ?)

-anybody run across this crap?

-any ideas?

(and please, no "well just use a better burning prog", or "use better media", cause that's Crap, w98se has no prob reading/using it exactly as it is, every time, every dvd, instantly, so why not xp? Also please no "well xp doesn't like your cheap burner", because xp is supposed to be BETTER with hardware, at least that's one of the key arguments towards "upgrading" to xp... ?)

(yes, by now u can tell I'm NOT a huge xp fan, tho I am forced to use it for stability/compatibility purposes... :angry: )

-thx, Bri... >;]

Edited by PsycoUnc

We miss the essential info... : is it all in the same computer and drive ?

Obviously unless he's got 98se/XP running on a virtual box they are 2 diff boxes. If its 2 different drives, maybe the one drive doesn't like that particular brand of media. Does the drive thats throwing the errors read data backed up on a CDR fine?

Hi PsycoUnc,

-Hey, anyone encounter this before? Some (not all) burned SL DVD's (just data backups, not bootable/etc), burned in XP, and verified by the burning program as perfect, are not accessible at all in winXP, altho are perfectly accessible in win98se...

??? :wacko:

-error: "Windows cannot read from this disk. ...might be corrupted, or incompatible format..."

?

-no fancy burn/format settings, std. cdfs iso/joliet, DVD+R, burned at slow stable 4x (w/16x media, 16x NEC ND3550A burner (been using for 6 months, no probs), latest 1.06 firmware), and win98se has no trouble reading them (altho some w98se apps also can't read em)...

(using CDburnerXPpro 3.0.116, tho none of this info is really important, as my only question is: why can old, scorned w98se read what "supposedly" superior XP can't? -especially when they were CREATED in xp, and even verified, file by file, by the burning software after the burn? Seems like xp just can't "mount" it, afterwards... ?)

-anybody run across this crap?

-any ideas?

(and please, no "well just use a better burning prog", or "use better media", cause that's Crap, w98se has no prob reading/using it exactly as it is, every time, every dvd, instantly, so why not xp? Also please no "well xp doesn't like your cheap burner", because xp is supposed to be BETTER with hardware, at least that's one of the key arguments towards "upgrading" to xp... ?)

(yes, by now u can tell I'm NOT a huge xp fan, tho I am forced to use it for stability/compatibility purposes... :angry: )

-thx, Bri... >;]

I don't know if this will shed any "light" on your problem but, I have a similar problem with a dual boot system, Win98/WinXP. Using Nero 6, last full version, I can (99/100) burn whatever type of file I want to CD/DVD successfully. How ever when I try the same with XP, I have a 50/50 chance of creating a ... CD/DVD coaster!

Another family member also using Nero 6/7 has had similar problems. In fact one DVD he burned wouldn't read on either his PC or mine. XP basically crashed. When I tried the same DVD under Win98 on my PC, the only problem I had was finding the right program to run the file. (It was an MPG, which media player didn't have the right codec for.)

I have no uneccessary services running on either O/S system and I don't do anything with my PC, except to monitor what Nero is actually doing. This is all on the same PC using two different O/S.

Funnily enough I'm not a huge XP fan either and only use XP for stability/compatability.

Whenever I want to burn a CD?DVD I trust Win98 before XP.

Waywyrd :)

Obviously unless he's got 98se/XP running on a virtual box they are 2 diff boxes.

... ever heard of dual boot ? :hello:

Unless there is more precision, the problem could be anything, answers are already mixing OSes use, burning programs, file types and different disc drives.

Obviously unless he's got 98se/XP running on a virtual box they are 2 diff boxes.

... ever heard of dual boot ? :hello:

Unless there is more precision, the problem could be anything, answers are already mixing OSes use, burning programs, file types and different disc drives.

Yeah yeah... same equivalent..

-thx for the replies, sry it's been 6 days but I've been overly-busy (and overly frustrated, lol)... :hello:

-yes, it's dual-boot w98se & xp pro sp2 (both fully updated, of course)

-Re: "...mixing OSes use..." --?? not applicable, it's WIN XP that can't read a disc that WIN XP just burned!

yet win98se CAN read the very same disc...

-Re: "...burning progs..." --well, I only use CD Burner XP Pro because it's the only prog (free or otherwise)

that can burn DVDs at a reasonable speed (6x-8x) with my newish 16x DVD burner; most others (and I've tried MANY),

for some reason, burn very slowly, regardless of media brand/type, aspi layers, firmwares, etc...

Only one or two others burned at the same speed, and those were not freeware, so SCREW EM. ;)

(...spent a LOT of time experimenting...)

-Re: "...file types..." -?? how could that apply? As mentioned, all were Data discs, with testing combo

of large files & many small files...

-Re: "...different disc drives..." -nope, same system (dual boot), same drives...

-ok, one thing I keep forgetting to try, is to see if those burned discs can be seen on

some different XP computers... that would narrow it down to my XP settings/drive or

a fundamental XP flaw in reading discs... if the former, then perhaps experimenting with

different XP installs on my same puter (b4 updates, after, etc) might help...

>;]