MSI files in HFSVCPACK_SW

daddydave

I can't find much about this feature on the forum. I have about 3 MSI's in HFSVCPACK_SW, FolderSize.msi gets installed, but PNGGauntlet.msi and SyncToy.msi (renamed from setup.msi -- which DOES install and run on Windows 2000 despite what Microsoft says) do not.

I took out all my HFAAO's thinking I may have one that is causing a conflict (which I believe was true at one point -- I had a bad one I made that was trying to reboot and I think it was shutting off the Windows Installer service), but they still didn't install.

Should I post a HFSLIP.LOG zip attachment, or is there something different about the MSI's?

Edited by daddydave

hi daddydave! not all MSIs are supported by HFSLIP ... i have the foldersize.exe too ... what i did was create a silent installer so it installed perfectly ... another option you might want to try, although undocumented is to place that in HFSVCPACK & it install too (well for XP that is ... just don't know if 2K would be just as accommodating) :)

All MSI files are supported by HFSLIP but not all can be installed at T-13.

In general, the problem is usually that .NET 2.0 is required (it is only detected as "installed" after a reboot) or that the file cannot be installed by the "SYSTEM" account (like the MSI installer of Flash Player). Specifying ALLUSERS=1 in the installation command can often fix the latter.

For Win2K, the situation is more problematic. I don't know what its exact limitations are but there are some that can't be installed at T-13 with which XP and 2K3 have no issue. UPHClean-Setup.msi is one of those.

The current test release of HFSLIP uses ALLUSERS=1 in the installation command for every MSI file and it supports the MSIFIRSTLOGON variable with which you let HFSLIP know that a specific MSI file should be installed at first GUI logon. You can try that...

Edited by Tomcat76

In general, the problem is usually that .NET 2.0 is required (it is only detected as "installed" after a reboot) or that the file cannot be installed by the "SYSTEM" account (like the MSI installer of Flash Player). Specifying ALLUSERS=1 in the installation command can often fix the latter.

For Win2K, the situation is more problematic. I don't know what its exact limitations are but there are some that can't be installed at T-13 with which XP and 2K3 have no issue. UPHClean-Setup.msi is one of those.

The current test release of HFSLIP uses ALLUSERS=1 in the installation command for every MSI file and it supports the MSIFIRSTLOGON variable with which you let HFSLIP know that a specific MSI file should be installed at first GUI logon. You can try that...

Wow! Trying that right now on the VM :):thumbup

EDIT: As I posted in the test release thread, it worked and I am very happy about that :)

Edited by daddydave

... not all MSIs are supported by HFSLIP
ha! ha! i stand corrected! :)
i didn't know about this ... perhaps i missed out on this very important announcement :) thanks!

EDIT:found it ... newly introduced! :P

Download hfslip-70111a

Changes:

- use MSIFIRSTLOGON in HFANSWER.INI to tell HFSLIP which MSI files should be installed at first GUI logon (1)

- UPHClean-Setup.msi is automatically moved from HF into HFSVCPACK_SW (2)

- all MSI files from HFSVCPACK_SW will now be installed by Windows setup with the ALLUSERS=1 variable in the installation command

(1) MSI files (HFSVCPACK_SW)

Some MSI files will only install at first GUI logon. For these, add their file names into HFANSWER.INI like so:

MSIFIRSTLOGON=myfilename.msi

MSIFIRSTLOGON=otherfilename.msi

MSIFIRSTLOGON=someotherfilename.msi

There's no limit to the amount of MSIFIRSTLOGON lines; just make sure that the last one has a file name specified.

HFSLIP already takes care of UPHClean-Setup.msi if the source OS is Windows 2000 so there's no need to specify it in HFANSWER.INI too, although nothing will break if you do.

It isn't necessary to edit HFANSWER.INI whenever you remove MSI files from the HFSVCPACK_SW folder again; HFSLIP can see which files exist and which don't.

(2) UPHClean-Setup.msi

Because most MSI files need to be placed in HFSVCPACK_SW, it would make more sense to have UPHClean-Setup.msi in there as well. HFSLIP already supported UPHClean-Setup.msi if it was found in HFSVCPACK_SW but not if the source OS is Windows 2000. That's taken care of now.

Note that the current and previous HFSLIP finals expects it in the HF folder for Windows 2000, so you'll need to MOVE it back into the HF folder if you want to switch back.

Edited by Kiki Burgh

Actually....

Extended changelog for HFSLIP 1.0

General updates:

• support for regular (non-silent) MSI files in HFSVCPACK_SW to be installed silently

:)

But I only added it to the "Basic how-to" page yesterday...

Edited by Tomcat76