comp freezes on POST...no response

ultra99

My computer gone crazy for the past few weeks but I really didn't know what was the problem, not even now.

Previously, I used to start my pc and it goes through POST and then windows, then i hear a "clicking" sound, which seems the motor of the hard disk and the computer starts. Sometimes it boots up perfectly and everything is fine. But when i have my pc turned off and come to turn it on, POST would just start and suddenly the "clicking" sound and restarts. So it restarts before windows bar comes.....which means it didn't use the disk at that moment, right?

Now I replaced the hard disk and installed windows, it went well, started a few times with no problems, and all of the sudden the "clicking" sound again and the computer restarts. Just like what happened with the previous disk.

I unplugged the hard disks and booted, it came into POST and found no hard disk, obviously. I shut down and the turned the pc back on, no POST this time, the disks are unplugged. Tried to turn it back on, but it wouldn't as if it was dead. After say 30 mins or so, it came to POST and said "Overclocking failed! Press F1 to resume, F2 blah blah..." The weird thing is that I'm not overclocking, BIOS settings are default, and don't even have the asus overclocking program installed.

Other times, I get my gfx card name and version on top of the screen and under it "Boot block compatibility version Ver .014" Bad Bios Checksum..." and then repeated messeges after each other "CD-ROM not found" "cannot read floppy" (something like that, the green led is always on, trying to access the floppy).

What going on? Could it be the PSU is not feeding the disks enough power, which may lead to corrupt my disk, i don't want it to mess up my new disk.

Lately, this is what's happing: I powered on, it froze on the first page, where it says "Press Del for Setup....." I tried pressing Del but it wouldn't respond.

This is really getting on my nerves! Sorry for the long post.

PC specs:

P4 3.2ghz HT LGA775

Asus P5GD1 mb

2x512mb TwinMos DDR400 ram

x600pro 128mb

SAVVY 400w psu

Power supply, you sure?

The computer is a year and a half old.

EDIT: btw, the power was cut at our building several times over the year, can that be a problem? maybe when the power came back was a shock to psu or other components? are there psu's that have surgesupressors or something?

Edited by ultra99

It's been 3 days and nothing has changed. I still get the first thing you see on POST, where it says "Press Del for Setup....." I tried pressing Del but it wouldn't respond. Doesn't even show the processor, ram, etc..

So it's still a psu issue or something else?