Which OS do you think is/will be the best?

eXPerience-XP

Which OS is/will be best?  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which OS is/will be best?

• Windows 95
    • Windows 98
    • Windows ME(hell naw)
    • Windows 2000
    • Windows XP
    • Windows Server 2003
    • Linux Mandrake
    • Linux Redhat
    • Slackware Linux
    • MacOSX
    • Debian
    • Windows Codename "Longhorn"
    • Windows Codename "Blackcomb"
    • Mac Codename "Panther"

OMG Panther is one of the best OSX, can believe you say it sux  :/, have you ever used it? http://www.apple.com/macosx/

I love the Mac, but I have to agree Panther (OS X 10.3) is garbage. The proposed features are nice, but it killed my iBook. Apparently I'm not the only one either. One of the authors at Wired wrote an article (Panther roars... in pain) about the weekend he had to spend trying to bring his iBook back from the dead. I also tried to integrate my Mac authentication with AD. Bad idea. My iMac is about 3x slower now and it won't authenticate. Let's not forget the FireWire 800 drives that were formatting themselves. I recommend sticking with Jaguar (OS X 10.2) until at least 10.3.2.

I like my Mac for websites and for web browsing. I like Windows for gaming, business applications and bringing home the bacon! :)

load "*",8

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Got to say Longhorn ... It looks very promising :rolleyes:

I've seen some fantastic screenshots for Windows Longhorn, it does look promising i definetly agree.

But until that comes out i have to say Windows 2000 professional/server are the best stable os i ever used. Any others i try use they keep blowing p on my face. :)

yeah.... murder me everybody !!!

personally, I like Windows XP (it has a million reasons about why it's best among the *released* OSs). But since you all have an unnecessary bias towards Windows ME, I voted for it just to level out the playing field and to infuriate all of ya here.

As for why, 3 years from now, if you want to use a supported win9x OS (I don't know why you'd want to, unless you have old,infirm hardware), ME is your only option.

And, I've got to say....... public memory is very short. Any of you in the IT loop would remember all the storm and revulsion that 98 and XP caused even until 2 years after their release. And those same OSes are being embraced by the same people now. ............... LOL ..........

What do you say about win95 today ?

Let me see what you have to say about win98 2 years from now.

• 4 weeks later...

I like XP but I have a box that runs 98se to support a very good photo printer and a laser that just wont run on anything later. I consider it the most reliable of the 9x OSs. It has less problem IMHO than Win Me.

Can anyone tell me if and why XP Pro is any better than XP Home for a single user or a peer to peer network. I just don't see any advantage to giveing MS an extra $50 .? Am I overlooking something there.

AJ

Where's FreeBSD in this poll? It is by and far the best OS out there in security, availability of programs [port collection has 10365] and price.

Windows is good for me, because I fix the mess that virii/spyware/trojans make of it.